Low Vitamin D

Posted , 1 user is following.

Anyone out there been told their vitamin D levels are low after strange symptoms? A few weeks ago I got a pain in my neck and I thought it was posture related, it ended up moving to both my shoulders, elbows, pretty much all my joints and muscles. I had some neuropathic symptoms too. I get really bad anxiety so my neck was tense and giving me headaches almost everyday. I'm also someone who panics and googles all my symptoms and gets all the worst answers from it.

I took myself to my GP, I had to see a new one as my old one no longer works there. Anyway, he was very attentive and I also went to see him because he has experience in joint pain. So he checked my neck and said it was quite tense. I told him all my symptoms, my fears of certain things it may be. He also noticed I wore glasses and asked when my last eye exam was, I said not long before coming to see him and the optometrist didn't say anything was wrong simply that my eye sight will likely stay the same until I get a bit older (their new eye scan machines can pick up so many things it's amazing). So I got referred for a blood test to check B12, Vit D, and all the typical other things along with any signs for inflammation and also a CT scan. So, after doing that the neck tension started to settle a bit (I'm thinking that was posture or anxiety related, perhaps both). The CT scan came back clear on my brain for abnormalities as did my neck scan in case something was pinching a nerve. The blood tests came back saying my iron is low and my vitamin d (not deficient, I think he said, just low). He said the low vitamin D could be causing most of my symptoms (joint pain, tingling etc) and the low iron probably related to my fatigue.

He told me to take a Vitamin D and Iron supplement for 2 to 3 weeks. I'll be seeing him again early October in regards to my anxiety. What I wanted to ask from others is if your symptoms were kind of up and down most days while taking the supplements? How long did it take before you felt any sort of relief? Sometimes I feel good, but it was terrible on the colder days (I'm in Australia but the Spring weather is still chilly at the moment) I've only been on the supplements for a week but it's frustrating to just sit and feel tingles in my legs and I have to move them all the time or get aches all over my joints. I'm 26 and I feel like it adds to my anxiety going through this. I am glad however that my GP listened to me and didn't brush it off.

Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

Report / Delete

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up