Low white cells

Posted , 3 users are following.

Following a blood test last week I have been told I'm now hypothyroid and my white cell count is low.  I've had no sore throat. I've reduced the carbimazole from 10mg to 5mg daily and have another blood test in a fortnight.   I've also been taking 500mg L-cartinine and 500mg of Acetyl L-cartinine.  I also have SLE and Sjogrens that can also cause low white cells but wondered if anyone else has had this problem or can offer any advice?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I was advised to have full blood test four weeks after four weeks of starting on carbrimazole - if my white blood cell count fell below the lower limit (or developed a sore throat etc) to stop taking the carbrimazole and see my GP. Did your GP/endo advise you on stopping the carbrimazol? There have been posts in the forum of people developing signs of low white cell count and stopping the carbrimazole and going onto another med (PTU I think).
  • Posted

Sure would be nice if you told us what tests were run and the results.
  • Posted

Hi  Sue

I've been struggling with low white cell count for over 12 months, endo does not want me to reduce carbimazole because my T4 levels are still too high!  

I've recently seen a naturopath who has advised me my issue is mercury poisoning! While it is the carbimazole that has seemingly reduced white cells I do not seem to be able to get my count above the minimum level which is something like 3.2? my last blood count was only 1.9! 

I have become extremely disillusioned with the medical profession which is why I sought help from a naturopath.  My naturopath had health issues of her own, ME, thyroid issues & also breast cancer but she worked out the route cause of all of those issues was low level mercury poisoning from amalgam fillings. At this stage I know I am not well enough to start to have any of my fillings removed and I need to undertake some detox first, I've only met her once so its early days for me but I do fully believe she is right in her diagnosis after doing much research I think it is absolutely criminal what has happened to us all.  The mercury leeches out from your teeth & heads up into your brain & down into the thyroid, and many many more places, hence the almost epidemic number of thyroid disorders being seen at the moment.  I know at my hospital they are totally snowed under, even putting on extra clinincs at the weekend because they can't cope.  That only leads to one thing, being treated like you are on a conveyor belt, I must have seen 8 or 9 different endos in the 12 months I have been going, its never the best idea to see different people all the time, the standard of care is on the floor!

Sorry I'm ranting on a bit now!

I have recently become aware of a little known drug which is being used successfully to treat auto immune diseases, its LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) there is a website LDN research trust if you want more info. Most GPs will not have heard of it, mine hadn't, but it is possible to get hold of it if you are in the UK.

Hope you manage to get your white count to increase.  I'm not sure PTU would help, in my experience I had loads of nasty side effects from this drug but I suppose everyone is different.

Kind regards

Ann

• Posted

And.  Myvteethbare crowned so I don't think the mercury is can as he.  My white count is always on the low side due to the sjogrens and SLE but my concern us that it is the carbimazole this time. 

as for LDN. .....like all drugs it comes with its own side effects.  If your own doctor not prescribe it you can pay for a consultation with a doctor who will!  You have to sign a waiver saying you are accepting that the thyroid may go overactive as a result of taking it.  I disbursed how this could help people with Graves and emailed them.  

• Posted

Sorry about the last post I sent too soon as I was trying to correct.  To continue. I asked how this could help people with Graves and got no reply.  I also sent a payment for a consultation with a LDN chemist.  When I  heard nothing I called to be told they no longer offered this service.  My money was refunded but how long would it have sat in their account? The Facebook page has no recommendations and the you tube interviews seem a little contrived for me.  I think there is a way to go with this drug.  It looks promising but they need to improve customer liaison before I'll try it.  
  • Posted

I've just got my blood results for thyroid function.  FT4 9.8,  FT3 4.4, TSH 7.1.  I'm so fuzzy headed I can't relate my past results to these figures and also have sore eyes that make reasearch difficult.  Feeling very tired and borderline depressed which is totally unlike me.  I don't want to stop the carbimazole and go overactive again so taking one every other day before I have my next blood test in two weeks. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.