Lower abdominal pain for 6 weeks and counting, scared I have colon cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 19. Randomly, once every couple months, I would eat

something spicy or fatty that would give me lower abdominal pain that made me have to go straight to the loo with pretty runny stool. This would relieve the pain and my bowel movements would return to how they normally are and I would continue with my daily life. (This section is not my concern, just stating this part as it may be linked to what's going on, for example it may be that this specific one on the 12th brought on IBS or something)

But on the 12th May, I experienced the same thing and after that loose bowel movement there was a slight feeling that the pain did not go away. I thought maybe I just didn't completely empty my bowels and thought that the next bowel movement would sort things out. But it didn't. I experienced 2 further weeks of quite severe abdominal cramps before I went to see my gp. She told me it was nothing and heard a lot of movement in my bowels with the stethoscope, and told me to take buscopan and that it should go away soon. I don't have a fever, or any nausea, sickness, vomiting, just this pain. I also get get the crampy feeling before I pass gas, and the gas is always hot and smelly. I'm also passing gas constantly, much much more than I used to. And now, for just over a week, on top of the general lower abdominal cramps I get, I'm now experiencing a dull pain on the right side of my lower abdomen on and off throughout the day (I'm sure it's not appendicitis, it's not tender or that low down on the abdomen).

I've been to the gp twice in total up till now, and I've even been to a&e because I found a lot of bright blood when I wiped, but I think that was just an internal tear on the rectum, never happened to me before but I usually have slight constipation so not surprised.

I'm a very heavy worrier. I was so stressed/worried one day that I got a massive headache, nausea and even vomited once. I'm just scared because I keep thinking I have colon cancer, and I don't want to die. Not at such a young age. I'm hoping someone out there can reassure me that it's something not so serious like IBS, or even IBD, anything but life-threatening diseases like cancer.

Thanks everyone.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Sounds like IBS.  See your doctor again for tests.  My IBS started with constipation and generalised abdominal pain that moved about followed by back pain, nausea and loose stools   I also had intense health anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.