Lower abdominal pain; mystified.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm a 66 year-old female who has been plagued by intestinal issues for 40+ years. First, it was IBS, which was miserable. In my late 30s I had my first diverticulitis attack, and had about a foot of colon removed several years later after my 4th or 5th bout. The good thing about the diverticulitis was that the IBS seemed to largely stop.

Even after my surgery, I was left with pockets of diverticulosis and have had several further bouts of diverticulitis; I swear that it always feels as if something is simmering under the surface. I've most often simply taken Advil and the pain has subsided. I wonder if I'm one of those people who have diverticular discomfort even when there is no active infection? I've read research that indicates it may be possible.

In January, I felt some of the usual discomfort (lower left, sometimes radiating across or higher) a little stronger than usual, and my primary physician put me on Cipro and Flagyl, which I have had numerous times before. After about 36 hours, the pain lessened, so it seemed to be diverticulitis. I finished the course of antibiotics about 5 days before I was scheduled for my every-three-years colonoscopy. As usual, several very small polyps were removed. I felt mainly OK that day, but was in some pain the next day. Though not as bad, I've had that same lower left, diverticulitis-like, sometimes gassy pain this last week. No fever, bleeding, etc. It doesn't really radiate to my back, I have no jaundice, no diarrhea (though the discomfort feels much like the aftereffects of a gastrointestinal virus.)

I've started on a good probiotic, thinking that the antibiotics might have killed everything off and caused the discomfort. Haven't been on them long enough to really notice a change, I can't take my trusty Advil, as I'm on Plavix. Tylenol helps a little.

I'm a worrier, and have imagined pancreatic cancer (doesn't seem to fit that). I am a recently-diagnosed Type II diabetic and have been on Metformin for several months, though just 500mg of the extended release type, I wonder if that has been contributing to the discomfort...

I'll see my gynecologist in a few weeks for a regular check and to hopefully rule out any ovarian causes. Again, this feels so much like my longstanding diverticulitis-y issues, but as I am literally just over a colonoscopy, there seems to be little to no chance there's an infection.

Has anyone experienced extended diverticulosis-related pain without having an actual infection? Does this sound like something antibiotic-induced? (I've been vigilant about checking for fever because of c. difficile, but I've not had one.) Any educated guesses are welcomed. Thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gigi. go on yellow card scheme on net, go to drug profiles . wind down till get to Metformin . have a look at gastrology .problems. press the plus sign on left hand side.just see what most people have taking Metformin . bowel problems the worst. yellow card scheme is MHRA .gov.uk to report problems .& doctors .

• Posted

Thanks. I know that Metformin can cause all sorts of problems, and have suspected it at least plays a part in my symptoms; it would make sense. I'm beginning to think that there have been several contributing factors, of which Metformin is likely one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.