Lower dose of Mirt

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please could anyone tell me if I reduce my dose gradually from 30 to 15, will I lose some of this excess weight. I have gained 2.5 stone in a year which I am struggling with. Tried to reduce before but now realise I tapered too quickly. I intend to do the 10% plan.

My worry is, what's the point in reducing if this ravenous appetite does not subside.

Would greatly appreciate some advise if anybody has some.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd be interested to see what people have to say about this. I have reduced my mirt from 45mg to 22.5 over the period from 11/09/15 to 31/10/15 without any really noticable effects, still sleeping reasonably, no nausea. Then I started getting really bad suicidal intentions three times I got to the point of right on the edge to the point of nearly driving my car into the canal one time not even remembering driving there. My cpn has advised to increase again back to 30mg. This is not helping my self esteem of being over weight, I've put on nearly 2 stone since April, I get acid reflux if I walk or exercise which doesn't help. 

So Lorraine if getting down to 15mg helps I will try again or just bloody stop them which is not the answer I know. I am just so fed up.

Did you notice any other difference when you tapered before, how low dosage did you get, what effects did you have. 

• Posted

Tina, I got down to 15 before then completely fell apart and couldn't wait to get the 30 back down. I tapered by 7.5 first week and further 7.5 the second. My GP actually told me to take every other day after that. The psych nearly hit the roof when I told him. That's when I went back to 30. My problem is not just this vile flab but the associated side effect. I have a hiatus hernia and the reflux is awful. I also have rheumatoid and osteo arthritis and the weight is too much for my frame. I work domestic cleaning 3 days per week in an attempt to keep busy but honestly that's where the activity ends. Seems like my only pleasures are food and bed. I feel like this weight is out of control. My psychiatric referral was private. It costs me £150 each time for an appointment. To add insult to injury, until last year I had worked my butt off working for NHS for 25 years and now when I need help I have to pay. That said, I do pay as i feel i need the help but am considering going back to GP and asking for a NHS referral.

So if anyone has any info on a smaller dose being less stimulating to the appetite I would be very grateful as I would like to stay with the Mirt if that is the case.

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

just want to say total respect for you for working with both osteoarthritis and RA. I have psoriatic arthritis and lost my NHS job last year on capability due to ill health. Currently unable to consider work as my condition is not controlled yet. I developed methotrexate induced hepatitis last year, was allergic to a 2nd DMARD and have been treated with 2 anti TNF biologicals. I start my 3rd and final (on NHS ) biological next month. Struggling immensely low mood, currently on 30mg mirtazipine. Was on 45mg but felt sluggish all the time. On the plus side, I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't gained weight! Apologies to others reading for rant about physical stuff, for me it's all mixed together, physically, mentally, spiritually.

• Posted

For me, going from 30 to 15 made little difference, sorry. I came off it completely about month ago and straight away lost my cravings and lost 8 lbs already. Do it slowly though. It worked for me as an antidepressant though so you have to weigh up the pros and cons. I was on it for 7 months at 30mg and 2 at 15mg. Back eating normally again after putting on two stone and rising.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine

From what I've read being on 3.5 mg stimulates appetite too !  I have come down from 15 to 10 and no difference in the appetite whatsoever.  

Have you considered talking to your GP about another AD which you can take that is compatable with Mirt' (Prozac for example, or another) whilst you do a 10% slow taper.  And either get your doctor or you do research that it doesn't contain an appetite stimulant.  I put on 20 lbs over a year too ~ not funny at all is it ggrrrrr.

This is on this forum for WD advice, you can't drop 50% without bad anxiety kicking in, best to be kind to yourself and do it slowly, sounds like you've got enough to worry about.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

Scroll down to:  Reducing ADs using 10% withdrawal method

Many people can't eat when they do a big drop because of the crippling nausea and anxiety and they lose weight rapidly, but it's hell.  I've been on Mirt' for a year

and am doing a slow WD.

Hope some of this may help, wishing youu well x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.