Lowering dose

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I tried to increase my dose to 30 mg and my anxiety went through the roof . I tried to persevere for just over 5 weeks and had to lower it back down to 20 mg . tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I lowered it and I'm still not back to how I was on the 20 mg and I'm getting lots of strange symptoms too. Is this normal when lowering doses and how long before I'm back on an even keel after lowering. I guess its a bit like withdrawing?

Thank you to anybody that reads . I guess I'm seeking reassurance again

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm on week 12 of 20mg and ive had a few good day a week ago then it all come back anxiety intrusive thoughts I was thinking of upping dose but that's what I'm scared of going up and feeling worse then having to go back down again and wait for it to settle how long was you on 20mg before you upped dose ? And why did you up the dose ?
    • Posted

Hi Don, I was on 10 mg for 10 weeks then 20 mg for 10 weeks. Because I was still getting terrible intrusive thoughts( not suicidal thoughts tho) and not sleeping well they increased it to 30 mg. I took it for 4 weeks at that dose and just couldnt handle it. I wished id never increased now but cant turn back the clock. I feel like its properly messed it up. Im really hoping its normal and will take a while to settle now ive lowered it :-(
    • Posted

You seem to be having the same problem as me intrusive thoughts I feel if these thoughts settle down I would feel a lot better mine arnt suicidle thank god 😃 I'm just going to stick with 2g for a few more weeks and see how things go did u have intrusive thoughts before taking this med ?
    • Posted

I did but not as bad as I have done until I went up to 30mg. My anxiety is keeping me awake too. I have propranolol but scared about that making me worse! X
    • Posted

Propanalol won't make you worse they are good for physical symptoms they don't do nothing for the mental symptoms 😄
    • Posted

No i had no side effects from them they help me with physical symptoms like heart pounding shaking and butterfly's what dose have u got ?
    • Posted

Hi,

I take propranolol as well, yes it can make you little dizzy it is aside effect, because it lowers your blood pressure. If I did not have my propranolol I don't think I could cope with the side effects of citalopram.

• Posted

Hi kelly Marie

I had no problems with them but everyone's different 😃 How long have u been on cit and at what dose ? Are you having intrusive thoughts ?

• Posted

I have only been on them 17 days 10mg, doc says I have stay on them for at least four weeks before he will think about increasing them. I do yes but I had them before I started the citalopram, but I have heard that it is one of the many side effects, my anxiety and some of the side effects that went have been through the roof this weekend.
    • Posted

It's my 12th week at 20mg its a roller coaster of ups and downs sometimes you feel like your getting their and then boom it all comes back it's so frustrating from what I've learned from experienced people on this site some people recover in weeks and some recover in months i feel if I can carm the intrusive thoughts down things will get better WE WILL GET BETTER it just takes time an patients 😀
    • Posted

I hope we can all recover on this med. Does propranolol help with the knotting feeling of anxiety in the stomach??

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up