Lowering the dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive decided that 20 mg is far to much for me. I seem to be extremely sensitive to meds going in or out.

I even tried increasing my dose to 30 mg for 4 weeks just so I knew it wasnt an increase I needed. It was absolutely horrendous! I felt a little better when I lowered bck to 20 mg although my anxiety is still very high, im not sleeping more than 4 hrs and feel drugged constantly.

So 16 days ago I lowered it to 15 mg and the first few days I seemed to have more motivation and my anxiety didnt seem as bad. At about the 6 th day of lowering I woke in the night feeling really strange and head felt odd. I havemt been right since. My anxiety is extreme and im being irritational. Im getting moments where im feeling really odd and very low too.

Has anybody experienced withdrawal from just lowering the dose of citalopram?

I was also wondering if naybody did well on 10 mg and also felt whether 20 mg was to much?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Alison i am in the same boat i did well on 10 mg for around 2 yrs then some stressfull events sent me back to square on tried 20 a few times increased my anxiety and made me very agitated so lowered to 15 mg been here for 6 weeks not feeling any real benefit yet got gp next wk thinking of trying a different med try lowering to 10 or 15 c how u go
    • Posted

Hi weenett thanks for the reply. How long ago did you lower to 15 mg. I lowered to 15 mg just over 2 weeks ago. Initially felt a little better but now wondering if im feeling a bit of withdrawals from lowering.

Ive tried all other meds and they sent me over the edge much like 30 mg did! So a change in meds isnt an option for me

Alison

• Posted

Hi Alison

Have you tried escitalopram? It's very similar to citalopram as its the same group I was on it for 10 years on and off and it was great however after a stressful event last year docs decided to try me on some different ones citalopram being one of them but the side effects and anxiety still aren't shifting fully so after 7 months on citalopram I've just switched back to escitalopram 2 weeks ago! So far things are not to bad a little heightened anxiety but not as bad as when on citalopram, the doctors don't like to prescribe escitalopram as its more expensive but it does work quicker and is more gentle on side effects also 10mg of escitalopram is equivalent to 20mg of citalopram so it's slightly stronger!

Foxy xx

• Posted

My anxiety is there if I feel at all stressed it's bearable though because of my early menopause which has brought all this on I'm def better not crazy mood swings anymore thank god
  • Posted

I am thinking of asking to try mitrazapine next as i have lost abt a stone an cant really afford to so im planning on asking for it next plus i hear its pretty mild as far as side effects go. I have previously done well on sertraline to. I lowered to 15 of cit 5-6 weeks ago roughly. Side effects gone now apart from the crazy dreams night sweating an lack of appitite i think most of the anxiety is in my head if u know wat i mean as my thoughts r not racing as much now its a horrible nightmare trying to find a med that works and lets us be normal if there is a thing good luck an post as much as u need! We might not have the answer but we know how u feel! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.