Lpr

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have suffered from lpr for a few years now. For what reason, perhaps weight gain or cause i had a baby, its become much, much worse. I constantly feel a lump in the back of my throat and im constantly spitting up a thick slime to the point where i gag and almost vomit. Ive tired a few different acid reflux pills. None which seem to make a great difference. I dont drink caffeine or much liquor, once in a great while. Ive given up chocolate as well and tored other recommend diet chnages and havent noticed a differnce. I have notice chewing gum helps only while im chewing it though and drinking lots of water seems to loosen the slime so its easier to cough up.

My question are: what are some other home remedies that you have noticed to help?

Also has anyone ever had surgery to correct this problem?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I suck  Strepsils first thin in the morning, which helps clear it. Steam inhaling with ('Care'Eucyliptus in the water) helps to clear the tubes.
  • Posted

I have had same problem for about seven years. Sometimes it would be with me all the time and the only relief was to go to bed and lie flat leNing towards the left. Almost a week ago NO MORE REFLUX. I ditched the PPI's and started taking acidophilus probiotics. It worked straight away. A calmness came over me. I feel free of this awful condition. Try it, and good luck.
    • Posted

Good for u! And thanks for tip. I will definitely try it!
    • Posted

Im on my second day, not totally gone but have noticed a difference!
  • Posted

Hi Carissa

I had surgery a few months ago and I am a lot worse. A lot of people on these forums are saying good things about probiotics. I am on 30 billion a day - so time will tell.

I have said this a few times to others - but I look at it like a blocked sink. If you turn the taps on - the water comes backup (like reflux). If something is not right further down the digestive system then all the fermenting foods comes back up. Possibly a motility issue or bad bacteria. From this I guess probiotics are a good place to start. The secret is to try one thing at a time for a few weeks. Too many changes/different treatments may be counter productive.

Food makes no difference to me. I cut out dairy, caffeine, red meat, sugar and spicy food and it doesn't help. So I may as well enjoy my food LOL

• Posted

Im sorry to hear that. I was hoping surgery would be a solution to this awful problem. May i ask what type of surgery was preformed on you to fix the lpr? Im just at a loss. Im worried about what lpr is doing to my body. I know you are more likely to develop cancer from it as well sad Im scheduled to have a scope down. Im not sure what the dr will suggest from then.
    • Posted

I am only taking 2 billion a day (two tabs with 1 billion in each). When I was reading up on the pros and cons of probiotics I read that more than 10 billion per day can be counterproductive.
    • Posted

Have just googled probiotics again and no more than 10 billion (to restore balance) and then 1 to 2 billion per day recommended. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Anything helps at this point lol. I was aleeady at the store and picked up a bottle. It says one capsule twice a day with meals. And one capsule contains 1 million each.
    • Posted

Million? I take two tabs with a billion in each. Acidophilus, got mine from Holland & Barratt
    • Posted

Hi Carissa

I had the std Nissen. I was fine for a couple of months but I have been getting worse over the last few weeks. I think something has happened to the wrap as I am really uncomfortable at night. My throat has got so bad I feel like it is closing up and I cant breathe properly. I'm in 2 minds whether to go to A & E as it is starting to freak me out. The ENT guys scoped my throat after the op and said it was really red.

30 billion probiotics are a bit high but are OK short term to get your system back on track - then you should drop to a lower maintenance dose. There is plenty of info on tinternet about this level. They are expensive though (£20 for 30). You could try gradually increasing the dose (which I think is advised anyway) that way you shouldn't have too much trouble with die off

• Posted

I have an appt for a scope. I dont know what good it will good besides tell me what i already know. Hopefully the dr will be able to figure something out
    • Posted

I have had the very same thing. All of it just like you. Nightmare! I understand exactly what you feel. Noone knows what to do. I tried it all.

In my case diet did not help much PPi where useless. Here are the things that help. Little : stop cofee and chocolates, taking ranitidine 150 at night along with melatonine(help sleep) , liftin my bed 7 " and taking dip cups( sucralfate) prescription to protect your throat from acid. 

here are the things that help a lot: taking antianxiety medicine for stress triggred by your symotoms and specially when you have panic atack triggered by chest pain and dificulty breathing from acid refluxe. I took ativan when I got really bad and it helped me a lot. Not only make symptoms go away but also help me eat better. Ofcourse you can not take this pill often but only when it is really bad. I found out that the main triggered of lprd is your brain. 

Some people go have a 24 ph monitore and manometry test to see if yor LeS is not working. If your LES is not working you can try other drugs. 

I can keep taking for ever on ths subject for now I will just advice you to take something for your anxiety 

• Posted

Hi Carissa

I have had acid reflux for the past 18 months and currently take one 20mg Omeprazole daily.  Up until 3 months ago I was also taking Gavison Advance tablets after my evening meal and again at bedtime if required.  But for me, the thing that has been the miracle cure is changing my water and drinking a lot more of it.  I bough a Water Jug which increased the PH of tap water and bottled water to its correct PH level to reduce the acidity in your stomach.  We now filter all our water and I now no longer if the lump in my throat, I never cough any more and never have the globules coming up in my throat.  I am now back to normal and I completely put it down to the water.  I did initially cut down on all the obvious trigger foods but now I can even manage them without any problems.  You have to buy filters for the jug but believe me then initial cost outlay was worth it.  Wishing you the same success as I had, it's certainly worth trying.  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Spottycat smile

Can you private message me the info on your jug and filters? I would love to try this! And what should the correct ph be then to work? I 'm in the US so hoping to find something like what you are using! :D

• Posted

Yes please message me more in on this water and jugs and filters. Im very interested in lerning more. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.