lpr

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I've been suffering with a lot of throat congestion for the last four months now. When I lay down my throat throbs just like your nose would when your all bunged up!im constantly trying to lift it all from my

Throat, but then I make it worse and my throat becomes really sore! Also my ears, jaw and temples ache, and when I tilt my head up and down I can hear a clicking sound.Has anyone else experienced these problems??the dr said she thinks it's silent reflux and has put me on lanzoprozole and ranitidine, but not sure if they are working.

Thank you for listening

H x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The symptoms yu describe are probably attributable to extra-oesophageal reflux (commonly referred to as LPR or "silent reflux" ) . I suffered from all these symptoms and more all my life, remembering incidents from when I was 4. It wasn't until nearly 50 years later, we (doctors and I) actually found out what it was.

Unfortunately, although acid suppressants (PPIs like lanzoprazole and H2 blockers like ranitidine) are excellent at reducing acid so reflux is less dangerous, they are not so good at reducing the reflux itself which you have to manage by lifestyle changes.

In my case, I opted for reflux reduction surgery (fundoplication) 8 years ago. The best thing I ever did. My symptoms vanished overnight.

Read about controlling reflux in the relevant chapters of the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Thank you for replying. Did you get a sore mouth ? My gums feel tender, along with the roof of my mouth! Is there anything In particular that triggers your symptoms? I'm not eating tomatoes or anything spicy, and I've also stopped most dairy products or very low fat options. X

• Posted

Used to get very sharp edges to my teeth. My dentist said refluxed acid softens the enamel and hard brushing removes it. (I also remember being told off about 20 years ago by a dentist because I had a new cavity and he accused me of over indulging in sweets. (But I know now it was refluxed acid! )

The only food trigger I had, I think, was pastry.

Spicy foods are fine and I was alwys OK with tomatoes and coffee etc. But now I don't get acid refluxing (since my fundo[lication) I can manage just about anything - except dry bread products which swell in my reduced stomach and make me feel bad.

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly you need to prop yourself up in bed to stop the acid coming up from your stomach.

The symptoms from reflux is a very long list.

I was on 40mg of Nexium and 300mg of Ranitadine also copious amounts of gaviscon and still I had symptoms.

10 weeks ago today I had hiatus hernia repair and fundloplication surgery to fix it all.

I'm still recovering with a little pain and being careful what I eat and small amounts.

I'm glad I had it done as my consultant said in time the acid coming up could cause me more problems in the future.

Margaret

• Posted

It's such an awful thing to have.

Every day you wake up thinking please be gone, then there it is again! I don't seem to have the heart burn, just the throat pain and throat congestion, and sore mouth! But that's enough if I'm truthful. I have raised my bed and also have a wedge that I put under my mattress! My husband said its like sleeping on a helter skelter! Hahaha!!! Glad you've been able to sort your problems and hopefully say by to this soul distroying illness!

Wishing you well

H x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.