LPR/GERD What is it that you feel?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Having spent a great deal of time researching and reading about LPR/GERD I haven’t been able to find an account of what individuals suffer with on a daily basis.

People mention symptoms but not the frequency of them. I was curious to see how often symptoms presented themselves?

I’ve been diagnosed with LPR from July and experience symptoms everyday. 

Is this the same for everyone else?

Symptoms include standard sore throat, croaking voice, sore voice box, 

pain from the middle of chest, feeling of lump in throat, tired all the time, burning sensation in throat etc.

I’m currently on PPI and Gaviscon advance which has helped but not eradicated it. 

I’m sticking to a low acid diet in the hope it will continue to assist.

Does anyone have a time frame of healing?  Or the feelings when you are healing?

I’m due for a trans nasal procedure early next year to confirm diognosis but was hoping that someone would be kind enough to reply with their experiences.

Many thanks

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,  I was diagnosed with gerd end of June 2017.... it came out of nowhere when after an evening of over eating brought on painful chest squeezing pain, sweating, and nausea.....thinking I was having a heart issue I went to er where they kept me several hours to rule this out....once everything looked normal they said it is probably gerd and sent me on my way......following that I started to develop a sensation there was a lump feeling in my throat...thinking it was just anxiety I ignored it....then a month after I had another episode...again to the er.....again same protocol was done, but suggested I go for further testing on my heart...so I wore a  fourteen day heart monitor, had a heart echo ultra sound and a stress test, all normal so again they said gerd and gave me a twenty one day prescription of Ppi......I never took them as I had no idea what gerd was as I had no classic symptoms of heart burn....I had one more episode, went to er....and they said to take a acid blocker.....so I trie and it made me feel like someone was filling me full of air that I could not release, so stopped that got away.   Since then I have a daily feeling of a lump in throats when swallowing......on occasion I get burning upper back pain, and sometimes I feel like gas is getting trapped....it is worse wen I feel stressed out, over tired, or is I eat things that I probably shouldn't.   As for healing, I guess it depends on the person.....how much dedication of changing lifestyle,  diet, and reducing stress.  I have a. Referral to go for a modified barium swallow test where they focus on the throat...as that seems to be where I feel it the most....if that is normal then I will request an upper GI X-ray.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope you manage to get to the bottom of your problems, it sounds as though you're headlining in the right direction.

The one thing I have noticed about this condition, it does rule your life and makes your mind very active in terms of thinking negatively (may be the meds).

There's no doubt that sharing your experiences helps as at least you're able to hear what other people are experiencing and realise you're not alone.

Thanks Linda

• Posted

PPIs don't have any affect on LPR symptoms because they can be caused by non acidic gastric contents too. Only Prokinetic drugs works by temporarily increasing LES pressure. Problem is no doc will prescribe that for more than a month because it has serious side effects, way more adverse than PPIs.

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your reply. You're right they don't. From what I've read they're prescribed to suppress the acid in your stomach to try and reduce the amount of acid containing pepsin are refluxed. As you state and I agree this is not a cure but more of a part of a treatment plan that you have to sign up for in order to try and combat the effects.

I have found the PPI to assist in getting rid of the burning chest but I find that Gaviscon Advance is really beneficial. I take it 15 minutes after meals and before sleep.

Have you tried Alkaline water? I'm interested on some forums that this assists some who drink and inhale it as a vapour. Have you tried this?

Many thanks,

Simon

• Posted

Hi Simon. I haven't tried alkaline water. I did try aloe vera juice but stopped it as I didn't notice any significant improvement for my symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks Ashley.

Again some people find great relief from the aloe juice and others like yourself don’t.

I’m going to start on the Alkaline water next week (once the jug arrives) 

I get the impression it’s trial and error to find what works. 

I’ll keep you posted if the water works!

• Posted

Hi Simon,  I purchased an alkaline water system three weeks before I got the GERD attack and now LPR symptoms.  I also drank every morning celery juice on an empty stomach....I did all this for another health issue I was dealing with.   Three weeks after I was hit with crazy chest pain...and then constant lump feeling.   I wondered if I had made my stomach too alkaline......as I don't have the classic burning sensation.....I started adding other water in the mix but still continue to drink alkaline water from the water system as I paid a costly price for it.  I am not sure it is helping the situation or making it worse.....I know there are minerals in the water as well so it might have been the minerals who knows......

• Posted

I am skeptical whether LPR symptoms can be managed just by diet. As long as the LES valve is lax, the gastric contents will come up no matter what you eat. I am focusing on breathing and aerobic exercises and also making sure my vitamin d levels are high to improve the muscle tone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.