LPR, main symptom is “can’t take a deep breath” but fish oil helped me.

Posted , 3 users are following.

For some reason I could not take a deep breath but by accident I found fish oil to be helpful.  

I was diagnosed with Gerd/LPR two years ago  but I have had acid reflux for 30+% years not knowing what  I had. LPR symptoms can be very vague and hard to diagnose.  But my main symptom for the 30+ years was not being able to breathe normally, as long as I had no serious movement or exercise of any kind it wasn’t bad. But if I tried exercising such as walking even  very little I would end up  struggling for a deep breath which I never I could master. 

In the past three years I tried taking fish oil to reduce my cholesterol which was minimally borderline, after about three weeks of taking 3600 mg of fish oil with EPA  around 700 to 1000 mg, I decided to go for a walk one day to the end of the block and back and I had no repercussions, so the next day I went for another walk, and the next day I went for another walk further each time  without any issues breathing. I started walking every day and it went just fine I could breathe a deep breath which was just shocking to me after 30 years of not being able to take a deep breath. So of course not knowing if it was the fish oil or not I had to stop it to see if it was  and  within a few days Of getting off from it I had the same issues again I could not take a deep breath So I went back on it and after three weeks I got the same results I could breathe deeply. Still not knowing if this was for sure the issue with the fish oil  I had to go off it for surgery a year ago and it was the same result I couldn’t take a deep breath, after I could resume taking the fish oil once again after three weeks I could take a deep breath.

The reason I am writing about this is to find out if anybody else has tried this or anything else that has helped them with their breathing? I don’t know why this works if anybody can explain this I would be thrilled to hear your answers. 

After  being on PPI’s for two years since my diagnosis my insurance has denied anything more than 120 days of PPIs per year so I decided to try and get off from pantoprazole  and amazingly enough I have been off these medications for five days now and have only had minimal issues and that was because I ate something I shouldn’t have. I feel very lucky to be able to get off from these medications As I am aware this is really hard or impossible for most of us to be able to do this. I guess there is a plus to having  crappy insurance  it kind of pushed me to try and see if I could get off from PPI’s. 

If anybody can explain this or has tried this and it has worked for them please give me some input. Thank you 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Why do you want to get off ppi’s? They are preventing you from getting cancer.  I’ll bet the fish oil or anything else you eat has nothing to do with your reflux. 

My theory:  Anyone with LPR has sleep apnea. Please research. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.