Lumbar instability??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm back again.

So iv had an k4/5 fusion 14 years ago, thoracic arachnoid cyst with spinal cord compression t2-6, cervical degeneration with multi level disc bulges, bone spurs, lordosis.

About 7 weeks ago something happened to my lower back, it just gave way, it feels like my lower back has snapped and if I sit a certain way it feels line I'm sitting in a broken bone, I am in chronic pain 9/10 daily and any walking, standing, sitting makes it worse with intense burning pain.

My chiro said my lumbar was unstable along with my GP, Iv had an emergency MRI but it didn't show any changes and I go on Thursday to speak to Neuro about it, I am at a loss, if nothing shows on scan then where does that leave me as I can barely walk across the room or do basic daily tasks.

Can anyone explain what lumbar instability is and is there treatment for this, thank you😊

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Caroline, I would never suggest to go for a back surgery...I was lucky that I avoided it. A friend of mine has completed his spinal fusion 2 years ago and he is still in pain. I have been suffering for the last 3 years on my lower back(L5/S1) and this was also causing pain on my knee too. Sometimes I was not able to walk at all...I found a remedy with the Backrack which is a spinal decompression device that is not invasie. From what they explained to me is a product that works better for the people that did not go under surgery, but it can still improve and relief your back pain after what you have gone through. You might want to contact them as I found them quite helpfull and it worked for me...thanks
    • Posted

Hi didigno and thank you for your reply, I had a lumbar fusion 14 years ago and it's been the worst thing for me ever. I went back to see my neuro on Thursday and he told me it's wear and tear and there's nothing more he can do, he suggested a SCS but because I have a cyst compressing my thoracic spine it's not an option as they need to scan me yearly to keep an eye on it. There's something definitely not right with my back  as it feels like Iv broke it (that's the only way I can describe the pain) he sent me for an X-ray but I'm not holding out much luck with that either, I don't want another surgery I just want to know what's wrong so I can try and cope with it. 

Im having my scans read privately on Wednesday and if it comes back the same then I really don't know how I can live like this as I have no quality as things are right now.

i hope you are good, have you tried chiropractic treatment

• Posted

Dear Caroline, sorry for the late reply but I have been busy with work. I think the same, I had a lumbar fusion  and it was not the right decision. I have a friend of mine that went through the same and he is still in pain after 6 years...This is why I was searching on the internet for a  non-invasive treatment. I found the luklinski spine clinic and after 2 months of sessions with Dr. Bogdan Luklinski I was feeling completely new. I throught that his treatments were a pure miracle. On top of it I am using the Backrack which is a device that he designed. It can help: herniated disc, sciatica and many other back pain issues. If you need any further help you can write to me privatly.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi didigno, sorry it's been a while, I really haven't been in a good place lately, I'm going to look into the info you mentioned and will message you if I need any more advice, thank you.

An update...well my x ray shows that one of the screws may be loose and that it probably always has been (14 years) don't know weather to laugh or cry, I have said all this time that something wasn't right, there sending me for a ct scan, he mentioned that the hard ware can be removed😫Ouch!!

But with that I'm sure I'll need another fusion or my back will be unstable, well as you can guess my heads all over at the mo but we will wait and see what the scans show up, hope your good and thank you so much for sharing your experience 😊

• Posted

Hi didigno, how are you dong? I hope you are  well,

Well after my x Ray the doc said the screws could be loose and sent me for a ct scan, he sent me a letter saying everything is fine and we'll see you in march😡😡😡 I also received a letter saying that he would not operate or refuse me as it did not work the first time, all this after he told me it's not a problem to take it all out and re do it, back tracking just a little🤔

Anyway I have just been to see another neuro privately and after looking at my scans he said I would need reconstructive surgery, basically all that is left in the disc space is the little metal cage they used, the surgery is quite brutal... they take everything out through the back and then re fuse you through the stomach, the odds are lower with every second surgery but he was very positive but realistic at the same time, he also added that the left leg weakness I have is probably due to the fact I had no after care/physio or follow up at all post surgery, I have to say the thought of going through it again even tho it's been 14 years just turns my stomach, I'm going to look into the luklinski clinic and hopefully they can help😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.