Lump in my throat

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi there,

For the last 3 weeks I keep feeling like there is a lump in my throat when I swallow. I can eat my food and swallow well but it feels like something is still there after I have swallowed. Sometimes, if I belch ( and that happens a lot now) it's like it disturbs this lump and I have to swallow again to settle it? It;s not a pain more a feeling and a burning throat. I am certain that wine sets it off, so I avoid it bnow. Not really been able to tolerate wine since I had my gallbladder out 6 years ago. Just want this awful feeling to go away and not to be worrying like this all the time. Does anyone know what it is? My GP has doubled my Omperazole to 2 X 10mg a day. Any advice would me most gratefully received, thank you x

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Wendy - I'm sorry to hear your having problems - it sounds silent reflux causing the problem.

i have borderline barrats esophogus, recently my condition has altered and I have been suffering from a burning tongue, with a sore throat, and similar to yourself feeling  like something s lodged just below my throat at times.

i have had to change my diet a bit and definitely leave out the wine , tomatoes , onions and mild spices from my foods as I finding all these things are triggers and a cup of coffee or tea are quite unpleasant at times.

i also get breathlessness if I eat a heaviest meal so I stick to salads and white meat or fish and jackets potatoe - boring boring but better than discomfort.

I have for three years been in ranatadine - but after my last endescope everything was ok BUT my consultant put me on esmaprazole 40 mg - q daily and I ranatadine at night - I have a very dry and sore mouth, lots of burping loud blooming burping - with an irritating cough and at time cough up a white foamy mucus 

my barrats had gone to become silent reflux - not nice - 

i recently read on this site about the benefits of organic virgin cocnut oil( look up benefits of coconut oil) on google - I started it on Minday evening and it has helped 

it helps the digestive system and is anti inflammatory it has helped take some of the burning out of my mouth. 

Have a a good read through the forum there's lots a helpful tip - look our silent reflux which your problem comes under - you will see there are a lot of us suffering with this god am awful problem - it helps to talk as stress is a big part of it 

hope this may help you regards --Wilfie

• Posted

Hello Wilfie,

Thank you ever so much for all that information, feeling better already!  I get looking on the internet and can convince yourself of all sorts, so it's lovely to be able to share things and talk to someone that knows what I am saying!  My Dad had oesphgeal cancer so I think that makes me a bit more jumpy than usual.  Thanks again for your advice, will read it again and take it in more.  Diet coke and Diet vimto irritate the life out of me, will leave them alone and of course the wine.  Thanks again, Wendy

• Posted

Hi ya !!! - I know the fears my step mum died of esophogal cancer very quickly I in three month period - I got scared and still do get a bit panicky sometimes then my sensible head comes back 

my husband says I read too much on the net - but you have to research information unfortunately there's bad stuff to scare as well as the sensible 

if you are on Facebook search for a site called ' justpassingthrough ' 

it's all about our condition and there's loads tips and symptoms that vary from person to person as were all different 

I had and endescope in Feb and and all was faker thank goodness , but the blooming symptoms are still there and scary.

i don't have fizzy drinks and just drinks lots of water , my first drink of the day is warm water about 6.30 am them my med so I can try and face the day sort of OK-ish some good some bad.

i listen to self hypnosis apps I down loaded on my iPhone and listen to those if I get panicky - always at night when I go to bed they lull me off and stop my WHAT ifs creeping in - they teach you relaxing breathing techniques as well which you can practice anywhere if you feel rotten they then calm you 

Ok I'm off to listen to my app now - glad to help - you can always message me I don't mind - try not to worry as stress makes it worse biggrin)

• Posted

Hello

I know up your post was a while ago but I definitely understand how you feel, I am constantly in worry mode that I have something bad, I get very anxious which is not helping, going through early stage of menopause which isn't helping, I'm going to look at the site on face book that you suggested, it's nice to find someone with the same symptoms.lol

• Posted

I know how you feel wendy my dad died of lung cancer so if i feel just a little off i get a axiety and panic attack . I got a burning sensation in my chest and throat and it feels like i have a lump in my throat my throat feels very tight like i cant breath and on my the sides of my neck feel tight and swollen and i keep getting these weird feelings in my head like a weird headache i never felt before. Im just freaking out here dont know what the do i went to the hostipal and the gave me acid reflex meds and said i was having a panic attact and sent me home.
    • Posted

Hi crystal

I don't know how old this post is but I have the same symptoms. My head feels fuzzy.

It burns when I take a deep breath and dr. And urgent care say my throat is bone dry!

How are you feeling now ?

• Posted

Hi Welfie

Your information was very helpful, I would appreciate if you tell me how to take coconut oil, I am also a suffering from same awful thing

Thank you

• Posted

Hi renee just saw your reply my throat still bugs me i constantly spit up mucus i keep trying to cough up what ever is stuck in my throat it feels so dry like i cant swallow.its been like this for years and im tired of it i dont know what to do i take all the meds the doctors give me but not helping..Im very depressed with this.
  • Posted

Hi

This happened/happens to me.   It sounds like a mixture of anxiety and reflux.  After tests at the hospital they prescribed me 2 x 10mg omeperazole and told to take gavison before meals..  My doctor told me that my burning throat is certainly reflux and the feeling of a lump being there is anxiety.  I know it's hard but try not to be so anxious and the feeling of a lump should go.  If not go back to the doctor.  Good luck x

• Posted

Sorry to chip in here Karena but am worried about you taking Gaviscon 'before' your meal? As I understand it, Gaviscon should be taken after a meal as it kind of sits on top of the food to prevent it coming back up? Might be worth checking?
    • Posted

Hello Karena,

Thank you for your reply.  I keep thinking it could be anxiety too and I even took a diazapem on Sunday (had them years ago for whiplash) but that didnt help it either.  I just kept occupied and tried to ignore it.  I was loads better on Monday and had a glass of wine with my tea - bad again Tuesday.  Will definitely make some lifestyle changes.  Thanks for getting back to me, Wendy 

• Posted

Hi mrspinkrat. You're quite right to chip in - I meant to say after meals as that's when I actually take it - I can't understand why I said before (it must be the menopause kicking in again) !!  
  • Posted

Hi Wendy, I can sympathize with you. For weeks I have experienced food stuck in my throat. The only way I have seen any relief were a few changes I made. First of all I avoid all triggers, such as tomatoes, onions, spicy food etc.  I don't drink coffee or alcohol so those are no brainers for me. But if I were you I would eliminate all alcohol, as that is a big trigger for acid reflux. I am currently taking nexiom pills once daily and have seen improvements. 

My dear brother recently became ill and lost his battle with cancer last week, stress is a big trigger as well. And I found when I took a half of an Ativan ( that I have for dental appointments etc....) I definetly saw positive changes. My doctor saids it's esoagus spasms, so 

• Posted

Sorry didn't get to finish my reply to you, and for some reason it sent.......anyway like I said once I tried something to " relax" my spasms it seemed to work and I only had to take the half an Ativan for a few days. Worth a try.

best of luck to you

• Posted

Hi there collygirl - 7 days ago  began taking nexium emsoprazel 1x40mg

daily.

I'm a bit concerned over the side effects listed as I'm very sensitive to medications.at the moment I have slight metallic taste in my mouth and water doesn't taste too good either, I'm burping a lot and going to the loo a lot not dioreah- just going twice. Day or more ?-

howlong have you been in them and have you had any side effects,I know that no two people are alike but this is just a curiosity question 

until 5 weeks ago I had been taking ranatadine successfully for 5 years , but I had a real shock and upset and my reflux seems to have been agrivated, I started with a buning mouth , coughing the white foamy mucus and coughing after eating 

I found it interesting you said stress can trigger spasms, I luckily haven't had the throat spasm as of yet and don't want it , but I'm wondering if it's the stress that has triggered this - I only had cameras too and bottom and my barrats had improved so I'm a bit confused with it all and stressed

i have started taking virgin cocnut oil as I was told about it on the forum it's a natural product to ease digestive problems- ( it's worth a read up on google the benefits of virgin cocnut oil)

??? What is antivan ??? 

cheers collygirl- I too have had to cut out onions coffee and aclholhol they seem to trigger and cause breathlessness ......... Thanks for your input ..   Wilfie 

• Posted

Good morning to you. 

I have only just started taking nexiom about three weeks ago. And so far I am seeing results. 

I am not a medication girl at all, infact I tend to go the holistic route for years, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and take these things.

ativan is a nerve pill, used primarily for stress and panic. It helps the body to relax so I just assumed it would help my spasms, and it seems to, however it is not without side effects, it can make you feel quite tired, even a half of one.

i don't seem to have any noticeable side effects from the nexiom thus far.

just pay close attention to your diet and environment, drinks lots of soothing herbal teas, and take long bubble baths lol......hope you get on the mend soon

• Posted

Hello collygirl- thank you for your reply - it's much appreciated 

I like you don't like taking lots of meds - but there are something's holistic and the natural just can't fix.

i listen to self hypnosis apps via ihone - they are very calming - I think mine is due to a lot of recent stress issues 

IV been put this morning in good company and didn't give it a thought - at home now Nd my mouth is really sore and tongue burning - doh!!!

thank you again for taking time to respond 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.