lump in throat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, well the lump in the throat while anxious seems common, how does everyone deal with this unpleasant sensation?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh big time. I hate that symptom. It's one of the symptoms I can't stand the most at night! I feel like I have a big ole piece of food or something stuck in my throat. Lol it's definitely unpleasant. 
    • Posted

Its horrible eh? And once u notice it, its there for ages, annoying!
    • Posted

Definitely. The lump in my throat feeling has made me even more anxious since it made me feel like my throat was closing or something. Super annoying! 
  • Posted

Not very well I'm afraid horrible not sure what to do or say about it
  • Posted

I usually try to drink some warm water or fennel tea. I really find with this symptom that it is the one that disappears most easily if I just stop thinking about it.
    • Posted

It's called a throat spasm.the more you swallow to see if it's still there longer it will stay.Person I know had a barium meal to prove it was just a spasm they saw it on camera throat clear as could be .Hey presto problem solved no more lump in throat. The mind plays havoc hey if one lets it.your be fine give up thinking on it like they did 
    • Posted

it's almost like that feeling you get if you're trying not to cry but it lasts longer, I find it to be quite painful but not frightening which helps me to forget about it! I imagine for people who find this symptom frightening that it can be quite a nuisance smile
    • Posted

a total nuisance yeah, but distraction defo helps! thanks all, just wondered how we all deal with it :-)
  • Posted

HI,

just like when you swallowed a GOBSTOPPER when you were a kid,LOL.

Once you realise the lump isn't going to get bigger and choke you, then its just annoying. With experience of all these symptoms you find they eventualy go.

Ok, not much help really, but knowing it will pass always helps me put the lump into perspective and not worry unduly about it.

Best wishes,

Alex

• Posted

I find too that the more i concentrate on it, i actually end up with a painful throat! Anyone else?
  • Posted

I get this a lot too!! Does anyone else get the same feeling in the chest at times?? It will feel like a burp stuck that won't move or like food didn't go all the way down... I do and was wondering if you guys do too....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.