Lump in throat

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been on lanzoprozole for nearly 4 weeks for acid reflux and lump feeling in my throat can anyone tell me how long I need to be on the tabs before they start to work really fed up with this perm lump feeling and tight chest when sitting upright. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I use to have a lump like feeling and felt like I couldnt get a full breath, after about 2 months on ompreazole my breathing was fine, however I've been on medication for nearly a year now and sleep raised however I still regularly cough up phlegm in the mornings, I take 20mg of ompreazole twice I day!

Hope it clears up for you soon.

• Posted

Thank you so much for quick response I have 30mg once daily so hopefully then I should feel better in another couple weeks, I also regularly cough up phlegm too, and also breathless. You wouldn't think acid would cause such problems. Thanks again Stephanie. X 
  • Posted

Hello lisa,

I think it depends.. it varies person to person from what I've found. I was on lanzoprasol for 2 weeks and it didn't work for me, then omeprazole and it didn't do much better so I'm now on pantoprazole 80mg daily. All in all ive been on ppis for a year and unfortunately still have a lump in my throat and a pressure in my chest but I do know people who have been on ppis for 1 month and theyre much better now! If you feel lanzoprasol isn't working I'd suggest changing over to anothet ppi! I really hope you get better soon.. I know how nasty these symptoms are!

• Posted

Thanks Abbie. Il give it another couple weeks then a trip back to the Drs. X 
  • Posted

The lump in the throat feeling is probably globus when the cricopharyngeal muscle that controls the upper oesophageal sphincter goes into spasm attempting to prevent extra-oesophageal reflux.

Lansoprazole is good at reducing acid but not reducing reflux. You need to try ad control that by lifestyle:

Lose weight if necessary. Don't overfill your stomach - eat little and often.

Avoid tight clothes. Avoid exercise and movements that will compress the stomach after food.

Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

• Posted

I can't say I suffer too much with heartburn but think your prob right about trying too loose weight I am very slim but have a large belly. Thanks for your advice x 
  • Posted

Give it a couple of more weeks and as others have said, its not a license to get what you want, when you want and wear tight clothes. I am on 30mg a day, but I must eat regularly and avoid certain foods otherwise the meds don't work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.