Lump in throat sensation

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have GERD and a sliding hiatal hernia and anytime I lie down and put pressure on my upper back, sides, or chest, pretty much my rib cage, I get this strange sensation like there's a golf ball stuck in my throat right below my adam's apple. It even happens when I'm sitting in the car with my back against the seat. It feels like something is stuck in my throat and there's something putting pressure in or around my esophagus and upper back. I can breathe just fine and I don't have trouble swallowing. I had an upper endoscopy in December and everything checked out fine. I think it's the sliding hernia that's putting pressure on my thoracic cavity. Does anyone else have this and have any way to relieve it? It makes it impossible for me to sleep because it's so uncomfortable. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jake

Yeah I would get that to. Usual rules for a hernia and gerd apply so no eating 3 hours before bed. Have your dinner and walk about for a bit or even just sit up straight so that it digests. Drink of gaviscon before bed. And raise the top of your bed up 4-6 inches so that you're not lying down flat. Lose weight if you need to. Avoid spicy food etc.

Good luck

Chris

• Posted

All of that doesn't help for me. Whenever I burp the acid get's into my esophagus and it burns like hell. The only thing which helps is a PPI daily.

• Posted

Have you tried having your upper back adjusted by osteopath or chiro. I get stuck in my mid thoracic area and supposingly nerves around this area control oesophagus? If you try this be sure to tell them you have hernia.

Good luck

Dom

• Posted

Your hiatus hernia is responsible for exacerbating your reflux. It prevents the normal operation of the lower oesophageal sphincter.

The "lump in your throat" feeling is probably globus reported by 50% of those with relfux. The refluxate reaching the top of your oesophagus can aspirate into the respiraory system. The cricopharyngeal muscle which acts as the upper oesophageal sphincter, can tighten or spasm to attempt to prevent this, causing the sensation of having a lumo in your throat.

You need to manage reflux by lifestyle modification or surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.