Lump in throat which goes when I burp

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi I am sure this is the same as most people on here, but recently started to have a painful lump in my throat, when I touch the base of the throat it feels really sore and I feel like I need to burp and once I do the pain eases off considerably. I feel sore in the chest area and have suffered with gerd/acid for most of my life on esomeprazole recently asked to decrease dose from 20mg to 40mg but since the symptoms told to go back, until I read a lot of the things on here was convinced I have oesohpogeul cancer although GP said as I had a scope within 10 years highly unlikely and I can eat and not being sick. I have just had a chest infection and that is like the pain I still feel like I have burnt inside throat and down into chest area. It does not go with gaviscon but only when I burp as it feels like a big bubble. I am going to try probiotics and alkaline water as mentioned in the forums, my main reason for posting is that other people say their throat is not painful where mine is especially when I press it, does anyone have this pain.

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have a lump in the throat feeling.  It was quite bad a couple of months ago where it was a constant feeling of a lump in the throat all the time. However, since I have gone from taking Omeprazole to Lansoprazole because it is a bit stronger it is just a lump feeling when I swallow now.  It is preventing me from eating solid food as it can feel like the food sticks so I have just stayed on mainly liquids at the moment.  I have had a gastroscopy and they said that was clear, however I have an appointment with the doctor that did it next week so I should know more about that then.  So I know where you are coming from with the lump feeling, I have been told that it is just acid reflux that causes it but I would love to know how to get rid of it properly!  Are you still able to eat ok and have you tried to watch what you eat if that makes you feel any better?  Have you tried talking to your doctor to maybe try a different tablet to see if that helps?  I know that there is a few different kinds of PPI's that all do the same job but one might suit you more than another? I think you should maybe ask for another gastroscopy to be done and get things checked ou?

Amanda.

• Posted

I am having this too just recently, i have had silent reflux for about 20 years but about 2 years ago started with stomach issues and then started with awful gerd flares and most recently the lump in my throat during the flares. The flares are lasting months not days now. Getting so helpless & scared
  • Posted

Hi

Try googling laryngeal sensory neuropathy. Sometimes your throat gets extra sensitive from the reflux and feels things that others can't. My GP has given me some amitryptyline to try (other experts such as Jamie Koufman have successfully tried this)

• Posted

Hi,

Many thanks for this, I will look into it.  Does the medication help for you?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Well I'm on 10mgs and it makes me sleep better than I have in a long time. You are supposed to take for a few weeks before it really kicks in settling the nerves.

I've only been on it for a few days so will report back in a few weeks.

It's the throat which is causing me issues at the moment. Keep feeling like I cant breathe. This reflux can really mess your body up. sad

• Posted

Hi moonbuggy,

I want to try amitryiptiline as well, I am very interested in that. I believe 25mg has healed lot of people. I have been diagonized with LPR and gastritis (due to Hpylori). I have completed the treatment for Hpylori but would really like to look up amitryiptiline for my LPR.

I do not reflux in the night, my throat feels fine when I wake up. I dont have any burning or pain. Sometimes I burp and feel like I have a lump in the throat (only on one side) which goes away after a while. Thats probably my only compaint. I can breathe, sing, talk, swallow normally. In fact I feel good when I eat, during that time I feel normal. Do you think this medication could help me?I do not have heartburn

• Posted

Dear sirivinay

Amitryptiline (Elavil is the tradename) has certainly worked for a lot of people (google Jamie Koufman).I haven't been on it for long but have been advised it could take several weeks to kick in to full effect. My problem is night reflux (no hearburn). I am also taking high level probiotics. Have you been tested for food intolerances? Eating alkaline foods can help also

• Posted

Hi moonbuggy,, I have been following the low acid diet..and surprisingly, food does not increase or decrease my symptoms. Its really weird. I can eat spicy food, tomatoes, onions and feel the same as I would if I had something as alkalike as potatoes or bananas. I dont think I have any food intolerances, although I do avoid gluten because of the gastritis. I am not gluten intolerant, I just dont want my inflamed stomach to work harder digesting gluten smile

I do not have any other digestive complaints other than the gastritis and LPR, i mean no gas or bloating (have a very good appetite). Had loads of tests including gastroscopy, CT scans, blood tests, ultrasounds..everything came back normal except for the gastritis. I do not have night time reflux. I do sleep on a wedge, but it wouldnt matter even if I dont, as I feel  totally normal in the morning. I used to take probiotics, but I think it irritates my gastritis so I stopped. I do eat a lot of yoghurt though.

• Posted

Hi Sirivinay

It made me sleep well. I was quite thirsty for a couple of days and felt a bit tired in the day - but these symptoms are going now

• Posted

Hi,

Yes please let me know how you get on with it.  Reflux does cause problems.  I am in with my Gastro dr tomorrow to go through the results of my camera test and to see what else can be done!  Its a real pain!  I just want to be able to eat properly that's all. 

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry that I am just replying now.  Its been a busy week.  Maybe it will get better once you have given the meds time to kick in.  Do you feel any better now?  Reflux is bad and can really play havoc with our bodies! I got the results of my camera test this week and it was all clear!  My Gastro dr has just suggested trying to sort my acid problem with mixing meds.  I am on 30mg of Lansoprazole a day and he's asked me to try also taking Ranitaidine at night time so will give that a go, I have to go back in four weeks to see if I am any better as I have been on a mainly liquid diet rencently and the main aim is get me to eat properly again!  He said that there are to other tests that I can have done, a Barium swallow and the PH testing one so will see how I get on and I will try eating something solid and see how I get on.  Are you able to eat ok?  Also have you been checked for asthma with the breating problems, as inhalers can help as I have asthma too. 

Amanda.

• Posted

Amanda I am not sure I have told you this but I too am on the same meds and doses as you.

Over the last few days i have been feeling hungry and it seems like its producing acid in my stomach. How about you.

Yesterday I ordered the Dropping Acid book and I am going to try and use that to improve my condition.If you or any of our colleagues want to ask me about its contents any time after I receive it. Please just shout Ted

• Posted

Hi Ted,

I am sorry I am just reply to this now.  I haven't had chance to come on here for a while with having tests and things done! 

I sometimes feel hungry but most of the time I am ok as I think that my stomach has strunk that much due to getting used to eating less and losing weight all through this!

Up to now I have had a camera test that has come back clear and and barium swallow which didn't show anything to do with my symptoms!  I am now awaiting to have the ph testing done which I am dreading but I think it will be  a good test to have done.  I have too got the dropping acid book.  Haven't had chance to read it yet thought, how are you finding it? 

How are you keeping with your symptoms etc?

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda I hope you are feeling as good as you can expect to feel given your problems. I probably speak for many and you when I say that each day you just do not know how good or bad you are going to feel. Until literally a couple of days OK I would read the reports on here and be thankful I was not feeing as bad. But now I seem to be having the same experiences of our colleagues.

Today I started taking 20mg daily of Pantoprazole instead of 40mg Lanso... but my GP has advised me to increase the Panto ..to 40mg if I experience any problems. Even before I took my first dose this morning I woke up with a hot tongue and throat and rather more worrying a prickling sensation in my throat. As I writing this I am eating an apple and it's feeling difficult to digest. So my problem today seems far more worse than it has been recently.My GP just seems to be interested in prescribing pills and not finding the real cause of the problem.

Interestingly this is the same GP that way back told me that I never had a health proble m and actually prescribed me happy pills instead. When I reminded her of this she immediately went on the defence and said " well that's how quickly these things can develop ".

To give all this some perspective I am a man aged 64 and last night I took my grandsons to football training and playing along side of them was a gorgeous little boy aged 8, my mates son who was struggling to play because his legs were hurting because of the arthritis he has been diagnosed as having.It brought a tear to my eyes to see him suffering but still wanting to play. So what right do I have to moan about my problem although of cause I will.

To all other posters to this thread I just want to say I too am suffering some of the problems you have and its helpful to read of your experiences to understand what my problems are so thanks.

I just hope that whatever we are all suffering on a daily basis is not masking something far more evil and I guess many of you feel the same way. Just keep your chins up everyone and keep fighting this awful illness. Ted

• Posted

Amanda, I too have Asthma and I wonder if when we inhale the Steroids, which are to reduce inflammation of the bronchial tubes or whatever, some of that anti-inflammatory gets down the gullet and has an affect on the stomach or gullet somehow?
    • Posted

Here is my story, hopefully it helps

Persistent Cough

Silent Reflux/Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy

I am 56 yo married male, a small business owner and my wife and I are empty nesters.

I have been battling a persistent cough and constant lump in my throat for maybe 5 years. It started on and off and I attributed it to allergies. After being tested and finding out I did not have any significant allergies I realized it must be something else, the hunt began.

Over the next 2-3 years up until now I have been battling this very debilitating ailment. Imagine, having to clear your throat every 15 seconds but never clearing the constant lump, food at least once a week going down the wrong pipe, nose constantly stuffed, nausea in the AM. You begin to get the point.

As a casual recreational pot smoker I began to notice that the only thing that would get rid of the lump in my throat and give me any relief was smoking pot.

Over the last two years I have seen one doctor after the next; GP, Allergist, ENT, Gastroenterologist. Any nasal or sinus issues were ruled so it was determined that it must be reflux coming from the stomach. After over a year of scopes, PH monitors and a litany of drugs, which did partially help I believe I have discovered the main problem.

Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy which is actually a nerve condition that effects your vocal cord and throat area causing you to have all the symptoms described above. The reason the pills for reflux partially worked (In my case Dexilant was the only thing that worked if only 50%) was because it neutralized most stomach acid to cut down to the irritation of my larynx area, however if it was healthy the normal amount of acid would not effect it.

Anyway, to make a long story tolerable, I told each doctor that the only thing that gave me relief was smoking a joint in the evening.

None of them could figure out why that helped but they also did not diagnose the Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy, I did.

I was cruising articles, as I am oft to do about my medical issue looking for relief, when I began to read (found it almost randomly) about Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy. I realized that this was exactly what I had and the relief from smoking Marijuana is what confirmed it in my mind. After understanding the medical facts around this and the drugs used to treat it I realized why pot was giving me relief, if only temporary. At the same time it confirmed the diagnosis. 

• Posted

I know it’s been a while but did the medication help your lump in the throat? My GI doctor also suggested this but I have been hesitant. Are you still on the medication ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.