lynx Operation acid reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have been placed on the waiting list for the new procedure called lynx Operation at

Exeter hospital. I have had lots of tests.

my gp then applied for funding for this

Procedure to be done through the nhs

This was applied for from the individual

Funding panel in my area Somerset.

I was turned down and told Somerset do

Not commission this procedure.

I am now looking into appealing.

Has anyone had this procedure done

Through the nhs and how did they apply

For funding. I would appreciate any info.

Thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what tests have you had so far?, why didn't you want a Nissans Fundoplication?, its just that I am in the same state you are with gastro problems and here in Wales they wouldn't even consider the Lynx procedure, by the way have you any idea how much the lynx procedure costs privately?

Pam

• Posted

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have had Endoscopy, 24 hour acid

Level test. Xray swallow test.

I have seen the consultant and Exeter hospital who placed me on the

Waiting list. The lynx operation is a

Much faster recovery time. I am a full

Time carer for 2 people so the

Longer I am recovering effects them.

I was given information for both

Operation but both myself and my gp

Felt the lynx operation would be the

Better option. I'm not sure how much

Lynx operation would cost .

• Posted

If anyone has any info regarding the

Lynx operation and how there

Experience with cost and funding

Applications where dealt with

Please comment as this may

Help other people looking into

Funding.

Thanks

• Posted

Yes that's the one, It wasn't too bad.It was a little uncomfortable to have

Inserted but I would say not as bad as

An endoscopy. It was difficult to sleep with it in. I could eat and drink. It didn't seem too long to have it fitted.

Good luck having it done..

• Posted

just one other thing, I've got a really sensitive gag reflex, did the manometry make you gag?

Thanks for the info.

Pam

• Posted

I know what you mean with the gaging is a nightmare for me when I have a endoscopy. The tube is much smaller and I had no gaging when it was

Inserted. You have to sip a drink

When told to at points and this makes

It easier.

When are you due to have it done?

• Posted

Can't offer any help I'm afraid but wishing you the very best of luck with your appeal and surgery. Have you joined the face book group (search for linx surgery for gerd /acid reflux - you may find someone to help there but it's mostly Americans!) Jo x
  • Posted

There is an excellent video describing the device on   [removed]    I never wanted the fundo procedure done because of the issues around vomitting. I travel  in remote places and get food poisioning and didn't want the hassle.

You can ask any hospital to give you a quote for the procedure, my guess would  about £1500 but it is just that a guess, given what an endscopy costs.

You can also read the NICE guidelines to see whether you fit the criteria. It sounds so new that I can understand why funding could be difficult and you also need a surgeon familiar with the procedure.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I found a price    wow its   £8990   and the nisson is  £6740  

I guess the linx device must be very expensive because a 1day stay with op is around £2000 exclusing dr fees

• Posted

Thanks for looking.hoping my appeal would be successful.I had got to the

Stage of seeing the surgeon at Exeter hospital. Being placed on the waiting list. Somerset NHS will not fund the

Procedure. Has anyone had this

Procedure done at Exeter from

Outside Exeter NHS trust??

• Posted

Exeter is one of the pioneers so you are in very good hands, only a few places do it 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up