Macular Degeneration and Depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband was diagnosed with dry AMD in both eyes about 3 years ago. It has been getting worse and he's become depressed, disgusted, cranky, angry etc. especially now that I have to drive him around.

I don't know what to say to him about it. Everytime I bring it up he changes the subject.

He won't talk to his PCP about anti-depressants, he won't go back to the doctor because he said he'd just take his license and told him there's nothing to be down about it.

Just tell me the best way to deal with this.

He's going to be 64 and I'm 58 with a lot of medical issues myself. He's been on disability with severe OA of the back and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders for 2 years now

I know it will get worse and it will just make him more depressed.

How can I help him?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Your message really hits home. I wish I had an easy answer. I also have AMD, both eyes. All I can say is that I also am angry and depressed..losing my independence feels like I am losing myself. I try really hard not to take these feelings out on my loved ones. It helps me when my feelings are acknowledged as valid. It does not help for someone to try to talk me out of these feelings.  Perhaps it would help for you to talk to a counselor to try to figure out how you can separate your feelings from his. When you are living with someone who is angry and depression it is a nightmare and  you need to get some tools to deal with it. Insisting that he gets help won't work until he is ready..There are stages involved in a loss of eyesight, sort of like the stages of grief..denial, anger  and hopefully at some point acceptance.  He will have to do this himself and he will need emotional space.  I hear you loud and clear and I know this must be an extremely difficult time. Like they say on an airplane, put your oxygen mask on first then you can help other people, so first of all find a support person for yourself.  I wish you all the best. 

• Posted

Very sorry to hear about this situation.  Presumably you know about The Macular Society.  They have many resources and may be able to help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.