Magnesium

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone, still not taking prednisone at the moment but have pain. I have heard Magnesium oils very good to rub into your painful muscles. Has anyone tried this ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

There are people who have used magnesium spray and epsom salts baths to relieve cramps. I don't remember hearing oils mentioned though.

But it depends on the reason for the sore muscles - magnesium works if you develop cramps. Whether it works for other causes of sore muscles is another question.

• Posted

Magnesium spray is normally used for cramped muscles. You can always see if it works though. 
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

I remember before I was diagnosed with PMR and was trying so many things to alleviate my pain and stiffness. I had some relief but I woke up one morning and just knew that I was ill and I needed to fine out the cause and find a way to heal. I know the prednisone doesn't heal, but it sure brought relief and has allowed me to lead a normal life. I am down to 1.5 mg after 3 years and feeling great. However, my new Dr. (new city) is adamant 'it is very unusual to still be on prednisone after 3 years'.....and apparently, her patients never questions her, so when I did, she said jmaybe her and I weren't a good fit. Anyway, it took a year to get a Dr. here in Victoria BC Canada....so, I'll try and work with her. 

So, I hope the magnesium helps....

I have a couple questions for somebody out there. My daughter is a massage therapist. One of her clients who has PMR had a muscle tear in one of her thigh muscles and her Dr. suggests it is a result of longterm prednisone use (over 3 years) The client's present dose after 5 years is 3 mg. Once your muscle tears, will it be susceptible to future tearing? Is tearing likely to occur in other places? Are any other structures more likely to tear now too? The client doesn't remember a particular movement or accident that caused the tear - it just appeared, not serious at first and then got worse. The client would like my daughter to use more pressure when massaging, but my daughter is concerned. Any thoughts?

• Posted

If you try to overdo it then yes, your muscles probably are more delicate - but that is as much a feature of PMR as pred.I've been on pred for 9 years - haven't had a muscle tear yet. But then I know my limitations are stick to them!  Tendons are particularly sensitive I think - especially if your doctor tries to put you on a quinolone antibiotic. Each will cause tensonitis, especially achilles, both together makes it even more likely. I know...

I have theraputic massage - working on the myofascial synrome trigger points. I may feel as it I'm flaring for a day or so as the cytokines from the trigger points are released into the system. Lots of water to drink and maybe a mg or so more pred for a day or two soon sorts that. 

As for your rheumy - refer her politely to this:

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/resources/news-and-research/polymyalgia-rheumatica-steroid-side-effects-new-findings

She can get the original paper easily enough and I trust while she doesn't like patients questioning her perhaps she can accept Eric Matteson from the Mayo. And the video from another rheumy at the meeting where the paper was presented:

http://rheumnow.com/video/dr-kathryn-dao-steroid-duration-requirements?utm_content=buffercb736&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

And frankly - your rheumy is nuts if she can't accept a patient on 1.5mg pred and well managed! After all - all the figures suggest that 5% of PMR patients are on pred for life. 1.5mg is well below the physiological dose, your body is making up the difference to 7.5mg or so in the form of the natural corticosteroid cortisol. Below 5mg/day no doctor should be making a fuss. 

• Posted

That's the way EileenH, God how many Rheumy are there out there who do not have a clue. Maybe I should be more cautious, but I am just working hard to get back in shape, which get hard as you age. Think positive about a great ski season, with a smile on my face. ??

• Posted

Thanks, Eileen. The article was helpful and "hopeful". I will be taking this to my "rheumy" and endocrinologist. Ibuprofen isn't working for me. 

Take care

Rich

• Posted

I have had Fibro for 22 years and had a lot of muscle tears (for no obvious reason) in early days. I have had PMR or 3 years and only in the last few months I have been having muscle problems again. I have had many Chiro, Osteo and massage treatments in that time. The only massage treatments which have helped me are those with pressure. One person talked me in to persevering with the gentle approach, but after 4 treatments I got no relief what so ever, so I believe that , for me, only pressure will give me some relief. This is for Fibro pain tho, not PMR pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.