Make it stop please! The itchy outer labia and anus is driving me mad.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am post menapausal, do not take hormones and have a partner, so am sexually active. Three months ago I noticed itching. When I scratched I noticed what appeared to be tiny bumps sort of like a hive. Scratching just makes the bumps bigger. I thought it was from shaving and vowed to go au natural from now on. Well the hair has grown back but the itch is still there. I have been to my GP who was reluctant to even look down there. As though I was contagious or something. He  sent me to a dermatologist who at least looked, and prescribed an anti fungal and a low dose steroid cream. It helped a bit with the itching. Only a bit. It is worse at night, of course, who needs sleep, right? I notice no bleeding even with scratching but a sort of crust will form on top and a bit of clear fluid before that. I usually end up scratching this crust off only to have it form again. I have maybe four or five of these spots at a time. As they heal others show up in different spots. To be honest I am itchy all over as I live in a dry climate. Hoping someone can help me out. Thanks for allowing me to go where woman has not wanted to go before.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You poor thing!  I had exactly the same problem when I hit the menopause five years ago.  I found out through trial and error that I was allergic to some really common dietary culprits - the natural plant chemical, solanine, is present in potatoes, tomatoes, chilli peppers, caspicum, eggplant and tobacco, and I get exactly the symptoms you describe whenever I eat any of them.  Once I found out what foods were setting me off, I cut them out completely from my diet and for past five years only have a recurrence when I accidentally eat any of them.  I find that if I do accidentally do that, antihistamines can take the edge of a little.  But I found that the full cure is avoidance and I don't miss those foods anymore.  Of course, it may also be that you could be allergic to other dietary things, I'd advise a diet where you only eat one or two foods per day to see how they affect you.  

You could also have something completely different, have you dosed yourself for threadworms?  They don't often make the vulval itch, but it could be worth getting a threadworm treatment over the counter from a pharmacist.  

If none of those things work, I'd go to the GP and ask for a scabies test.  Don't be fobbed off by them telling you it's vulvodynia - it may well be, that seems to be the medical term for "I don't know what it is or how to cure it, but here's a fancy label to make you feel I've listened".  

I went to several doctors before working out for myself what the problem was, and I often wonder how many other women are suffering when they don't need to.  Menopause seems to be a key time for this, I've found from talking with my friends and relatives - it's like your body gets less efficient at eliminating these plant chemicals from the system once you get older, and things you could eat with impunity start to affect you.  

Please let me know how you get on!

Bests,

Minamii

• Posted

I’d think you need to go to a GUI clinic or see a gynaecologist and get tested. Bumps that weep and go crusty could be an STI. You should make sure you use protection during sex, just in case, until you have a diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.