Making myself feel bad

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, 

I have severe anxiety, which suddenly hit me about a month ago. I haven't been able to get out the house much and I can't eat much at all.

Today I have flu and haven't been able to leave my bed. I make myself feel so bad about not getting up and doing anything, even though i know i need time to recover. I began anti-depressants 6 days ago and feel so ill from the side effects/loss of appetite. Yet i make myself feel more anxious/depressed because I can't get out?

I don't know what to do as I feel so weak and just want to be able to get out and do things but i cant sad 

help please sad 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

have you considered therapy? it is a great alternative to meds - which as youve found out do often make people feel worse
    • Posted

Yes i have telephone cbt next tuesday & get 6 sessions. I also am trying cbt online & bought a book which im reading through. 
    • Posted

CBT is supposed to be very helpful.

Have you tried therapy in the past?

• Posted

CBT does work for some,but don't be discouraged if it doesnt,ask for different therapy if it doesn't. It's a very mild form of therapy and it's always offered first as it's cheap and can work for some
    • Posted

have you tried it? I'm considering it
    • Posted

yes ive tried CBT, for me it wasnt very good, i prefer psychotherapy or CAT, they work better. different things work for different people though
    • Posted

I haven't had any therapy in the past as i've only begun to get help, but i'm hoping it works! x
    • Posted

I hope it does work for me sad I'm getting this on the NHS & not sure if they do any other types of therapy? I can't afford to pay for any either x
    • Posted

Yes the NHS do all kinds of therapy,they prefer to try CBT first as it's very cheap to train and deliver, but yes you can see psychologists, Psychotherapists and psychiatrists on the nhs
  • Posted

Hi, you sound very much like me, today I only got  out very briefly and that will be it because a lot needs doing in the house today and if I don't get on top of those things I will be stressed about that yet here I am staring ou of the window thinking i should be out facing my fears, I should be doing something'.

Thing is though we can't take on everything all at once and the truth is if you are ill and you go out you will likely feel worse anyway and possiby have a negative experience which is the last thing you need.

So even if you dragged yourself out of that bed and forced yourself out of the door you wouldn't gain anything from it.

I know it's horrible, I want to force myself out today but have all this laundry that has piled up, birthday prsents to wrap and then a lot of tidying to do so if I go out nothing gets done and I end up feeling even more like I can't cope.

I would have a chat with your doctor or pharmacist about the side effects of your medication, make sure it is only what is to be expected and that you can tolerate them, some people need to change, others can wait it out but if it gets too much and hinders you very badly it may be worth discussing the possibility of something different.

I hope your flu is better soon, remember you have to be kind to yourself as hard as that can be and that does mean accepting rest when you need it, the doing things and going out will still be there when you feel better but will be much harder if you push yourself with flu x

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your response, you've made me feel a lot better smile

That's true, think i just always feel bad about it because everyone always puts pressure on going out and doing things. When I think i really need time to get better/eat better before I can go out. 

I did manage to drag myself out of bed and like you have been doing house work & sat outside for a little bit. 

I can feel my side effects lessening each day, apart from the loss of appetite but i've never been a big eater anyway. I'm living off smoothies and weight gain shakes at the moment sad 

Thank you for your advice smile

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.