Male depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

Boyfriend has boughts of depression, cries and talks of suicide.  I listen and support him and one day  asked if he wants to see his GP and get meds, he refuses, he won't / can't take meds.  He has a very delicate stomach.  I don't know what to do for him other than listen.  But his depression makes me depressed.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Im so sorry to here that just stay strong try to ask a consolor what to do so you wont get depress as well 

please try to be health and dont hurt yourself try you and him to do activities togather let him talk to therapy i heard CBT work so good try it 

i wish the best for both of you 

my boyfriend has depression and i feel your pain 

• Posted

He sounds quite anti-medication but how does he feel about talking ?  Would he consider talking to someone anonymously, like the Samaritans or MIND?   In some areas you can now self-refer for counselling through an the "IAPT" scheme, although in other areas you still need a GP or nurse referral.

The GP might be able to give a medication for the depression and something to stop it upsetting the stomach at the same time.  Also the stomach problems could even be caused by the depression as depression does cause REAL physical symptoms for many people. 

His health is his responsibility but if he is talking of sucide then he clearly isn't thinking clearly. However that doesn't mean you have to take responsibility completely, put up with poor behaviour or just live with it if he refuses to get help.  You must protect your own health as well. 

I wonder if someone like MIND would be able to give you some advice and support.  http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

Another option might be to go and speak to his GP yourself?  And maybe even see your own GP to get some counselling support for yourself as a carer. 

Does your boyfriend work? How is he coping day to day? 

• Posted

Yes, he is very anti meds, he has a very delicate stomach.  He can't even take tylenol, he gets naucious and throws up.  He might BE OK with talking, he talks to me.  Yes he works, and he hates his job.  I think part of the depression stems from that.  I will give him some options for people to talk to maybe he will try.  thanks
  • Posted

You must tell your doc everything,  there are dozens of meds, take some and get back to normal ,keep us informed,,, good luck
  • Posted

Survyvn, so sorry to hear that you are experiencing some one that is close to you the suffering they are going through this must be tough on you. If he will not take the first steps to get help,you have to be aware that you too can be vunerable. Have a good talk with him to let him see how it is affecting you. And maybe he will seek help.

Take care of yourself Jackie.

• Posted

maybe a food talk and persuade will help?
  • Posted

This is a very difficult situation...I've been there and at the time I did a lot of research and the answer is what you fear most, there is nothing you can do, it is all up to him.

So what I suppose I'm saying is that the question isn't what can you do for him, it's how can you get him to do it for himself. They are very different.

I don't have the answer but I can tell you with my wife it was paitence and timing. I waited till things were virtually out of control and then suggest the GP again, a bit more firmly.

Today she came home from counselling saying she wished she'd started years ago. 3yrs ago she swore she'd never see a doctor or counsellor. So there is hope!!

• Posted

Survyvn, were you with your boyfriend before he became depressed.

Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.