Male - morning bitter taste and nausea - 3 weeks after antibiotics for SIBO

Edited , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Been feeling quite unwell for about 3 weeks now, the same story is repeated every morning:

• Wake up with a bitter taste in my mouth
  • Feel nauseous for a few hours until after midday around - but it can continue for longer
  • Constantly fatigued and sleepy and legs feel sore and lazy
  • Most days pass loose stool (not all days)
  • Evenings are usually better

Just a brief history on me:

• Took antibiotics 3 times this year already (twice for a sinus infection and bronchitis) - but last time was an antibiotic called Rifaximin to deal with what the doctor diagnosed me with as SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth), the symptoms started while I was on this antibiotic but I stopped it three weeks ago already yet the persist
  • I do have GERD
  • I do have a sinus issue
  • I do have Gilberts syndrome
  • My blood tests have shown nothing major so far other than a slightly higher white blood cell count and high calcium in the blood and low vitamin D

Has anyone gone through any of this after antibiotics?

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi mike03282

Have you checked the Instruction Leaflets that came with your meds for side effects. Sometimes symptoms are side effects of the medication seeing you have been on a few antibiotic meds. Also, low Vit D causes gut problems start taking vit D supplements also probiotics to replace the good stomach bacteria that the antibiotics have destroyed...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

thanks for your reply Mary, it did mention these side effects but not sure they are supposed to be still there after 3 weeks. I started vitamin D supplements this week, lets see how that goes.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi mike03282

The side effects can last for a while after the meds. Three lots of antibiotic is a lot for your system to deal with. I have sinus problems and i get bitter taste in my mouth in the morning so that may be the case with you. Good your taking Vit D as low levels can cause fatigue and lethargy and gut issues. As you say see how it goes, give it a month if no change go see your doctor and tell him/her of your symptoms relating to medication side effects and about taking Vit D....hope things improve for you...best wishes..

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Get on a good probiotic since you've been on all of those antibiotics. antibiotics will also kill off your good bacteria too. I like one made by Essential Stack. This helped me after an overload of scripts. Plus I weaned myself from 10+ years of acid blockers. You need acid for digestion.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up