Managing Your Depression - Dr.Susan J. Noonan

Posted , 6 users are following.

I found this incredible quotation in this Dr.'s book:  "Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the qauiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow."

She states: "Depression is the kind of illness that requires a lot of courage.  Many of us go around with this illness in silence, not mentioning it to any but a few of our closest friends and family, quietly struggling.  It takes alot of effort just to get up each day, to get showered and dressed and try.  It takes enormous courage to get up and face another day of depression, of darkness and despair and hopelessness.  When you are willingto do that day after day, you have courage unlike any other.  You do not have to shout it from the rooftops - - you show it quietly by your efforts."  I think this is so true!  Nancy

4 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think this is such a helpful quote for anyone who is struggling with depression. Recognising your own courage is the first step in learning to be kind to yourself and lifting yourself upwards.
  • Posted

Very true.  I have found in my time that often life is about endurance and being able to carry on when things are difficult.  They usually get better over time.  Normality and a set routine is the most important thing when you are depressed and helps you recover more quickly or at least feel a little better. 

People search too much for 'happiness' and ignore other things which are equally important - peace of mind and being comfortable in your own skin.  Happiness tends to come in small pieces when you least expect it.   Self respect has to be earned and this comes often from endurance and routine.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.