Manipulation under anesthetic

Posted , 16 users are following.

My bend is not coming along very good I am 8 weeks TKR my bend is 110.  My surgeon has suggested I habe mu knee manipulated under anesthetic.  Has anyone had this done, does it work, and does it hurt afterwards? I cannot fid out much about this procedure on line.  I do not want to go ahead and have this done if it does not work that much. I woud rather keep up the exercises and hope my bend improves.  Any answers

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

110 is very good according to my physio.  That's what I've got and he said they only expect 90 degrees at 8 weeks.  Give it time we all heal differently. 
  • Posted

I am still 90 at 14 weeks and I have been told it will improve. I wouldnt decide about an MUA for soem time yet - too soon and accoriding to what I have seen on this site, a challenging experience. It does work as i had one on my shoulder but its another 4 weeks at least of physio and discomfort. Stick it out a bit longer. 

• Posted

My physio was really pleased with 110 at 10 weeks and said it will get better but can take up to a year, they did not measure it when they discharged me. I could do all the exercises they set.   As long as you can do what you need in daily life and your pain is under control. I think there is sometimes a feeling of " I must get too this degree bend because someone else said they did" I still exercise my knee but I am not going to worry about it. 
    • Posted

I think your point about the bend being enough for the individuals life is excellent, its all well and good the proffesionals telling us we need this that and the other but, they have not had the surgery, a we would all do well to listen to you and stop stressing ! many thanks for that
    • Posted

Yes I have just been for walk with dog, took my neighbour shopping, moved plant pots etc out of back yard. The only thing that I could not do was carry something up some garden steps with out holding on to the rail. I can even park in a normal space now and get out without having to open the car door all the way. No idea what my bend is now, but I have never been one to try and match other people , self improvement ! I am putting my feet up now! 
  • Posted

Bend of 110 is not bad at all, I wouldnt have a MUA with a bend like that just exercise
  • Posted

110' at 8 weeks is marvelous! I was only 90' at that stage. If you're happy then tell them no!😷
  • Posted

I would like to have 110 without pain . . I can just about get there if I'm prepared to suffer!  Your surgeon seems rather keen on doing a MUA . . .it's a pretty aggressive sort of procedure from what I hear!  I should give it a bit longer???  I know it does work for some people, and others are not so happy, and 110 is pretty good anyway!
    • Posted

It is a ver aggressive proceedure. Are you USA/Aus/NZ or UK I know the UK wouldnt even consider MUA with a bend of 110. I found the best exercise was to sit and pull the op leg back then put the good ankle across the affected one and pull it back some more and hold it. Another is lean onto the kitchen workbench and bend
  • Posted

Hi

I had an MUA on both of my knees...it's to break the adhesions that have formed.  You are put under for no more than about 30 minutes and then the surgeon bends the knee.  You usually wake up on a CPM machine, which bends the knee backwards a forwards.  My problem with both knees has been difficulty straightening them.  My first MUA was very successful, the 2nd one not so.  Mine were both done after several months though.  It's really not very painful and I didn't take any painkillers at all.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

I was speaking as a nurse whohad been in theatre when it was done. It is anything but gentle
  • Posted

Hi there Maggie. I just had a manipulation Monday. I had my TKR 2/27/15 and had been stuck at 62 ROM. I went to PT Tues and was 82, Wednesday 92 and today 102. Seems to be working for me😊

They put you out for manipulation and next day you are in Therapy. You do have to take meds as it is painful but I feel it is worth it if I can get my ROM to be at least 120. 62 was horrible. Do not be afraid to do this.

Suzanne

• Posted

110 degree is great and as everyone else has commented it seems rushed to want to do MUA I am just over 5weeks and only have 62 degrees, I'm in Australia and my surgeon has said its early days everyone heals differently and 90degrees is our aim and my surgeon is renown for putting more adhesive than others.. I too have looked up MUA and doesn't sound nice and risks are high if not performed well such as breaking a bone..

Wish I had 110 degrees, I know I wouldn't be doing MUA and besides you aren't in pain and seem happy with progress continue with the progress and go with your gut feeling..

• Posted

OMG, I was at the hospital on Tuesday to discuss my bend, I am 8 weeks post op and bend sitting at 61. I commented that I expected to be over 90 and they told me that if I was at 90 at 12 months post op they would be pleased! They have referred me for emergency physio for 2 weeks to help improve the bend and after that, if no joy, they will manipulate. If I had 110 I would be over the moon. Do not have a manipulation.
  • Posted

Maggie,

I too think that 110 is great range for where you are now.

I only had my manipulation Monday because I was stuck at 62 and the Dr. Didn't think I would improve. I also have keloids which makes me prone to scarring more. I probably would not have considered this had I been as high as you.

I am only sharing that in my case, I am so happy this has let me make progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.