Many Questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

So after the disappoint of not being in menopause, I was given the DX of Graves. I am concerned about the side effects of the medications and also feeling really crappy while trying to figure the right dosage. Are these valid concerns I see the Dr tomorrow to discuss plan of action. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I understand your fears and concerns.  I fortunately was caught early and only had to start on a dose of 10 mg but having been on this Board for a while I see many have had to be on much higher dosages and I believe the high dosages can be difficult to tolerate.  However, I wish I had known at the time of diagnosis about the supplements I added to my treatment program that finally got me into remission along with the meds two years later.  That's because Hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their bodies and these have to be replaced.  I was deficient in vitamin D, Total and Free Carnitine levels and low Magnesium.  When I added these supplements, I really began to notice the change and feel better.

So after you have seen your doc, please come back and let us know what his plans are.  Always get and keep a copy of your lab values and post them to the Board so we can comment on them.  Also do as much research as you can so you will feel empowered and can develop a good working relationship with your treatment providers. 

All the best.  

• Posted

Thank you Linda. Will they test me for all that stuff? Till now I don’t think either Dr has tested any of that. Below is my two most recent blood results 

Jan 18 

Total T4 was 12.7

T3   213

TSH 0.01

Free T4  2.1

Free T3 5.89

and a bunch of red blood cell test slightly off

3/6 test

thyroxine t4 free direct 1.40

TSH. 0.005

Thyrotropin Receptor Ab serum 3.05

Thyroid Stim Immunoglobulin 2.3

Thyroglobulin Antibody.  19.7

I sweat all the time, I was having palpitations but it’s a lot less often, my hair has changed, my hands shake really bad, I have lost weight, my hips ache, my legs are very weak and most recently I have felt my hold body is shaky and get dizzy, and most strange... my BM has changed. 

• Posted

My blood pressure became high out of no where 3 years ago and have been do with servere sleep apnea
  • Posted

When you post results, we need to see the ranges for normal for your lab.  They differ from lab to lab.  These are usually found in brackets beside your results,.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.