Massaging scar

Posted , 10 users are following.

Happy New Year all !!

Hope you all had a great Christmas

i went on monday for my first physio assessment .

The physio showed me how to massage the scar. I have done it a couple of times but it does feel quite sore. Im not sure its healed enough . It is all dry and most of the scab has gone. was wondering if its normal to feel sore when you first start. I am five weeks post op so I know it should be ok . Just need a little reassurance from my fellow forum users .

many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wendy happy new year to you too.

Yes is the answer, it will be sore.

This is my second hip op and this time I'm 8 months post.

Mine is still sore but if you can do the massage it's well worth it.

Good luck

Penny

• Posted

Hi Wendy, if you can get hold of E45 cream it is brilliant for helping with scars. It should be massaged in at least twice a day. Good luck. x

• Posted

im 6 weeks on and it sounds the same as mine , yes its healed now and gently rub so moisterizer around the area , mine can be sore aswell i think thats normal after all it is a deep cut

• Posted

I never had a scab. My op was done on 21 July 2019. I have a huge keloid. Throughout the months it was tender and felt like sunburn. It is red and raised, but it is getting better. Just ugly.

Best of luck

• Posted

thank you all for your replies. I love this forum

• Posted

yes its going to be sore that was nerves and tissues that was cut. I am 2 months post op and my incision is still kind of sore and it does itch but hot towels makes it feel better

• Posted

hi wendy, Happy new year, yes it's quite normal for your scar area to be sore, you need a bottle of stretch mark oil, I got mine from home bargains , you only need a couple of drops as it goes a long way i used to massage mine about 3 times a day it really is good for scar area.

hope this helps

• Posted

i use pure coconut oil and does the job lovely im 6 weeks post op

• Posted

yeah Sally that's as good as anything, it's just something to keep the scar area from drying out and cracking the skin

• Posted

Yes is the answer. I hated massaging my scar as it was tender. I persevered and used bio oil regularly. Now 3 years later the scar is hardly visible. I now use aveeno cream as a general moisturiser on my legs and scar area.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.