Mau

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 11wks post op, usual issues. Back to work next week. However as from last week mobility deteriorated bend not improved for weeks 110 and -10 straight. My physio thinks I may need mau. Knee so stiff. Last night I was keep awake with stinging / ache in calf and thigh.

Definitely a lot of issues are my fault as I had become complacent and didn't work hard enough. 😬😭😬😭

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you've got this struggle Maura.  When you say 'you didn't work hard enough' what do you mean?  Some physios are pushing that bend (and straightening) until people are in tears, but then some are doing the gently gently approach and achieving as much, maybe more, BUT it is so important to keep those two exercises in particular going at home - the slide to increase the bend and the straightening. 

Some people, by the nature of their bodies, do have a tougher time with the bend and straightening though, even though they try so hard with the exercises.  Some people are just more flexible than others and this makes a difference.  But it also seems people are threatened with MAU on a regular basis if they don't get as much bend or straightening as is desired.  Keep at it - it's not too late to improve it!

• Posted

Thanks Chris for your reply. Yes I have been doing exercises at home including exercise bike but when I read what others do I feel I do not achieve enough, I was never someone who enjoyed exercise and unfortunately I am afraid of water so swimming is out.

I am confident that the pain in calf is not a DVT as not hot, red or hard. I just feel I am on a journey that I no longer want to be on and need to jump ship. I'm board now with it all 😬😬

• Posted

Good that it's not A DVT!  I think it's the slides you need to be concentrating on at home, either on the bed, or on a recliner or sitting on a chair with feet on the floor, just going backwards and forward to gently improve that bend.  Some of us found at various points that warmth round the joint helps for about 15 minutes before doing the bends (I used hot wet flannels wrapped in a big bath towel) and icing afterwards.  To try and get the leg straight sit on a chair with just your feet supported on a stool so the knee tends to drop a bit.  That might help.  But you may already be doing these a few times a day?  At the moment, flexibility is more important than building up strength.  But don't push yourself too much - it's not about achieving what others are doing, but about doing what's right for you.   You'll get there and it will be SO worthwhile when you do:-)))

• Posted

Check out ache in calf would be advisable, in my opinion. See what your GP has to say and get it looked at.
    • Posted

Jenny were you thinking a clot?  That hadn't gone through my mind until I read your reply to Maura.  Is it red or swollen around the calf Maura?  But yes, if in doubt, check it out!

• Posted

Yes, it's always possible. I am getting a CT scan on tuesday, as it is possible i may have a small PE on my lungs! That is why it occurred to me , oh no, back on the fragmin, glad it's been caught. I am eleven weeks. They reckoned very likely at A&E this morning! I am not going to go through the story on here but i will post it on my blog when i finally get round to updating it!

• Posted

I hope you are OK Jenny, or if it is a PE they'll treat it quickly and you'll be better soon!  That's a bit of a shocker at eleven weeks!  Do keep us updated!

• Posted

Thanks! Was not expecting it! No classic leg pain symptoms at all. Will update next week! X😯😕😐

• Posted

Back to work in your condition?  I would seriously reconsider that.  After reading soooo many posts on here, only a tiny handful people have successfully transitioned back to work at 12 weeks...and they are absolute exceptions to the rule.  When you don't have your ROM completely back and have done nothing to strengthen your quads, glutes and core, you're just not ready...really...

Even if you have an 8-hour desk job, most people cannot stand that amount of time just sitting there.  Without your ROM, your knee will just get frozen in place with all that inactivity.  If your job involves walking or bending and lifting, you could be looking at a world of swelling and pain both day and night.

And you cannot drive to work and do your job on painkillers!!!  That's a complete no-no. 

PLEASE... Talk to your doc.  I don't think anyone on the forum would see this as a good path for you...

• Posted

You sound to me like you have been doing enough its just sometimes people find it harder than others. Ive had arthrits for years so have very weak quads and its taking me a long time to build my muscles up but my physio said 110 bend is fine even if it didnt get better and even though my leg wasnt straight it was still fine and to do little and often. So just keep up with your bending and straightening and dont let physio scare you with an mua. I wouldnt rush back to work if i were you just yet get yourself right first it will be worth it in the end.

Take care

• Posted

It takes time for the body to heal after surgery! Keep working and it will improve! This is Week 5 now with a slight cold fighting it off! The pain is the worse enemy! Take care!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.