May have overdone it.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had my first Hydrotherapy session today - I absolutely loved it! The

warmth of the water combined with the weightlessness was lovely.

Trouble is, I think I pushed myself a bit too hard, and I'm really paying

for it now...nasty pain and lots of swelling, right down to my foot. I'm icing, elevating and taking on lots of fluids, but at this rate I'll have to miss

tomorrow's physio, can't even get my shoes on right now! . Having said all

that, I'd recommend Hydrotherapy to anyone who is offered it!

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes me too. I now leave a day in between Physio and hydro. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

What exercises do you do in the pool....I'm 14 weeks an not progressing like I'd like
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

They showed us quite a few, and I think a lot could be used in a normal swimming pool. Walking the width of the pool,

forwards and backwards. Lie on back, hold onto rail, and cycle leg in front of you. Stand upright, swing operated leg back and forth as far as you can. Hold onto the rail and squat as low as you can. Step ups using a plastic step in the pool, leading with

operated leg. Hold onto rail, and gently kick backwards, trying

to touch your heel too your bottom. 30 reps of each apart from walking widths, that's 10.

There's some more that I didn't have time to try, I'll do them

next time and let you know if they're as good as these.

Caution advised though, they seem easy at the time, but you

certainly know about them afterwards! And after you do them, rest and hydrate.

Hope this helps xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Marching holding rail x 20 ten on each leg high knee. Hold rail stand tall do little dips, float under foot try to control lift foot up and push down, walking heel first, step and lunge as on land, hold rail and put legs on wall facing little walk on wall. Hold rail side leg lifts all both sides really helped for walking, rear straight leg stretch good for glutes etc not all in one session!! Take it very easy though very swollen afterwards even up to 48 hours don't realise how much pushing the muscles
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi terry perhaps that's the key one day off one day on. I have never tried it because I'm afraid of water best wishes.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's what I'm thinking now, I'll still do my exercises at home

today, but I'm definitely too swollen and sore for a full physio

session.

What a shame you have a fear of water, just being in the warm

pool was so soothing...

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Terri, I go on and on about hydrotherapy - just love it! Did 3 months pre-op TKR, and couldn't wait to get back to it. I'm 8 weeks post-op and have been back for about 5 weeks now. I remember the first day back, I was very stiff and sore afterwards, but it didn't last long - just a day or 2 for me. Try to remember that if any of your excercises hurt while in the pool, don't push it! If it hurts in water, then my physio always says it's not doing you any good. You'll be surprised how soon the excercises become so much easier and how much your strength improves. It can also be loads of fun!

It's good to hear how well your recovery seems to be going, but as my GP keeps telling me "Be kind to yourself".

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, I found exactly the same. .it was so nice to be in the warm water, I stayed for an hour, lots of exercise, lots of stretching and pushing . .and the next day I felt absolutely awful!  Now I only stay in for between half an hour and three quarters, and don't push myself quite so hard. . Even so, I usually feel not too good the next day. Can't make my mind up if it actually helps long term or not, but it is very pleasant!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up