Maybe all my symptoms were caused by Amlodipine

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been on this med for about 3 years now. Recently I developed a rash at the top of my arms which then spread across the top of my back and my chest. I also suffer with health anxiety so I was getting concerned about it. I finally plucked up the courage to see the gp who said she thought it might be related to the Amlodipine. I couldn't understand this as I've been on it for so long but she says it's possible. She told me to stop taking it straight away and has prescribed a different bp med.

The thing is that I've also been suffering with other symptoms for a long time and never guessed that they could be related to taking this med. After reading posts here I'm now beginning to wonder. The symptoms that I've had (some for quite some time and some more recently are below:

rash

skin flushing

dizzy spells

unsteady on my feet

extremely tired and lethargic

blurred vision

ringing in my ears

sharp pains in my legs

feeling hot

skin on lower arms feels sore and tender to touch

agitation

restless legs

I will probably think of others once I've posted this. Anyway basically a long varied list of symptoms. It never even crossed my mind that Amlodipine could be the cause. I stopped taking it 2 days ago so I suppose I just have to wait and see what happens now and if the symptoms diminish.

Suffering with health anxiety doesn't help because symptoms of illness always make me very anxious and of course I can't remember any I had before starting the Amlodipine. From what I've read on here this seems like it can be a particularly nasty drug.

Thinking of everyone else who has suffered or is still suffering from being prescribed this.

Christi

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Christi - Yep, i had every single one of those symptoms...my flushing was so bad that it turned into migraines.  On top of all of the symptoms you listed, I also had constant panic attacks & overall dread.  I felt so depressed and negative.  

Don't beat yourself up about not putting your symptoms together with the Amlodipine, I was on it for 5 years, my GP never mentioned it could be the cause, I went to the ER, therapy, nutritionists, acupuncture, massage therapists, dermatologists etc. trying to figure out why I felt so horrible.  I spent a lot of money trying to figure out the cause of my problems, I spent endless amounts on elixirs, vitamins, herbal supplements, antibiotics etc. I was convinced I had a histamine intolerance/food allergy because it seemed whatever I ate I would have horrific flushing, when in fact it had nothing to do with any of it.  I spent a good 4 years of my life like a zombie.  I am trying very hard not to be angry with my GP, or even with myself for not figuring this out sooner, but I have to let that go, I just hope there wasn't permanent damage done.

Good Luck & I hope you find great health soon /

• Posted

That's really interesting Debra. My mood has been extremely low for ages now but I've suffered with depression for many years so didn't give a thought to the fact that Amlodipine might be making it worse. The gp also upped my anti depressant the other day because of my very low mood.

Im so sorry to hear that you have suffered so long through taking this drug, isn't it awful that the very thing that's supposed to help us actually causes more problems. Good luck to you too debra

Christi x

• Posted

debra you might as well be talking about me,All the symptons you been having are eactly same as me ,but i've been taking Amlodipine 20 years,

My doctor just got my bloods back ,guess what very low Potassium ,He says that might be the cause of all your aches pains Eat more Potassium in Bananas Kiwi fruit ect ect ,Oh and take more exercise(lol i can hardly walk never mind exercise)  

• Posted

hi,

I can certainly sympathise with you with all the horrible side effects on this drug Amlodopine. I too have been on it a few years and it's only lately have realised why l feel so I'll all the time. I also have extremely itchy skin, 24/7, a stuffed nose which in itself panics me as l have health anxiety too. I have shortness of breathe, ringing in the ears and a complete sense of impending doom. I always feel tired and miserable and don't want to go out or do anything. Beem like this almost a year and the Dr just brush me off with ' oh you'll be alright, your too anxious . So no help there which makes me feel even more anxious as you can imagine. I've managed to get Dr to half the dose from 10mg to 5mg. Been on this for 4 days but no change as yet. I also think this drug stays in your system for a long time, so be prepared to ride it out.

Could l ask what other drug you are on for high blood pressure? I need to be ready with an answer for the Dr when l ask to stop the Amlodopine.

Good luck with all your health.

• Posted

hi Christine,

I can't get over how many people there are suffering from the side effects of this drug just on this one forum. I have the feeling of impending doom as well but thought that was because I've suffered with depression for many years. Maybe the Amlodipine has actually been making it worse. I also have no interest in doing anything. The new tablets I've been put on are called Indapamide. I'm not going to look to see if there are issues with those as I'm too worried to find out there is. I've only been taking them for 2 days so can't tell you what effects they're having yet. If you go back to see your doctor I really hope that they sort something out for you.

i will report back here as time goes on and let you know how the new tablets are going. Take care Christine.

Christi x

• Posted

Hi Christi,

Thanks for letting me know which no tablet l can ask my Dr about. I really hope you get on ok with them and no horrible side effects. Good luck again.

• Posted

Christi

I have been on amlodipine for about 5 or 6 years I've even gotten loose teeth bleeding gums weakness in my ankle and my legs no matter what I say the doctor doesn't listen I am on government insurance and they don't care I have a lot of pain in my ankles my legs last night I couldn't sleep at all my brain would not calm down and she increase the dose because my BP was higher now that it's gotten lower I said give me something else something that doesn't cost you side effects I get up from church after an hour and my knees hurt I feel like I'm 87 years old

• Posted

Hi Chris, I know what you mean about not being able to sleep. With me it's like someone flicks a switch as soon as I get into bed and my brain goes into overdrive. The problem is I'm not sure how much of it is down to the Amlodipine and how much is down to the depression and anxiety that I also suffer with. I really hope that you can get your doctor to prescribe something else for you. Christi x

• Posted

Hi there - I was put on Amlodipine 5 ml five years ago,  10 ml for about 3 weeks & also Irbesartan 300/25 (Avalide) about 4 years ago.  I stopped taking all Amlodipine 48 days ago.  I am still on The Irbesartan.  My friend who is a Dr said that Irbesartan is a drug that's been around for awhile with little side effects.  Funny thing is, since I have been off the Amlodipine my b/p hasn't gone up, it really has leveled off, so maybe all the horrible side effects were causing my b/p to spike -  I just want to really try to conquer this B/P thing with healthy diet, exercise, meditation and supplements and be ok with not having a perfect B/P reading of 120/80.  I am 60 years old and believe we all have our own "normal" readings,  a 120/80 reading may not be realistic for me with age, genetics etc. 

Hope that helps - 

• Posted

Hi Debra, that's interesting that the side effects of the Amlodipine might actually have been raising your bp, you just can't win can you. I so agree with you that it's totally unrealistic to expect us all to have the 'perfect' bp reading. I hope that controlling your bp with alternatives to medication works for you. Christi x 

• Posted

Hi Christi  ,all symptons you are having are the exactly same as mine,but my doctor as not put me on any other BP med,  and i had been on Amlodipine for 20 years.suffering ,watch out for headaches  when coming of them, just me but i think its the salt BYSALATE , 

Are you taking water tabs as well, plus one of the PRILs,Fossinopril ect ect , 

I have just had my bloods done ,and very low Potassium Doc said that could be the cause of your aches pains eat  more greens with potassium in .Oh and take more exercise ,( yer right) i can hardly walk never mind exercise lol, good luck Christi  .

• Posted

Hi Anthony, wow 20 years is a long time to suffer with these awful side effects. I'm not taking water tablets or anything else, the doctor has never suggested that. I'm with you on the no energy for exercise thing, feel totally drained most of the time. Good luck Anthony. Christi x

• Posted

So I've been off the Amlodipine for 21 days and I'm still feeling unwell. Because I started taking Indapamide as soon as I stopped the Amlodipine I don't know now if any of my symptoms are still leftover effects of the Am (although I doubt it) or, joy of joys, I'm getting a whole bunch of side effects from Indapamide.

Ive been feeling very nauseous, have acid reflux and am extremely anxious although the latter could all be down to my health anxiety. I'm not seeing the GP until the 28th so I suppose I will put up with it until then and see what she says. What the effect has been on my BP I have no idea.

i suppose it's over to the Indapamide forum for me now 😕

Christi

• Posted

Hi Christi  ,That'l be a eye opener for you on Indapamide , i'm on Bendroflumazide (cut short benro) My old doctor 20 years ago said to me ,when i asked him  which tab i was takeing was the worst (he had had heart attack) Bendro water tabs ,He was right , I think  Amlodipine causes water retension , plus potassium loss it seems you need 4,750 mg of potassium every day and thats someone who as normal blood pressure , how much potassium do you take . Good luck on Indapamide forum lol

• Posted

Thanks Anthony, I think 😏. Just to clarify, are you saying that your doctor said that Bendro are the worst? Want to fill me in on why being on Indapamide will be an eye opener? 😕 

I dont take potassium supplements, just eat a fairly healthy diet. 

Indapamide forum doesnt look very busy, not like this one.

• Posted

Hi Christi  , i had Tb when a child aged 8 and sent to Sanaturium 2 years , the diet was  big piece of Liver a banana and the magic Lima beans (butter beans). after just reading about Butter beans i think i just might start eating them again , i hated eating them as a child and never had them since, but it seems Butter beans might just help check out Lima beans .lol
    • Posted

Hi Christi , fairly Diet but have you ever worked out how much Potassium daily if like me barely any but i might just monituring how much from now on Butter beans seems good
    • Posted

You're probably right Anthony, possibly actually getting very little potassium from what I eat.

my biggest hate foodwise are bananas, don't like anything about them at all 😏 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.