Maybe crohns?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a colonoscopy yesterday, one polyp was taken, they are doing biopsy on some more tissue they took. I've had diarrhea for a long time now, lately cramps, wondering if it sounds like crohn's and should I be scared? I am worried about it! Cindy

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi cindy it could be crohns and I understand your worry but it will only make things worse. Wait until you have confirmation from the biopsy then you will know what you are dealing with. Of course it's a rotten disease to have but you will learn to deal with it. there are a lot of treatments that work really well for many people so don't be too downhearted. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you Nannylin, it helps to come to these forums to hear people give some possitive about things! I'll try not to worry so much but that's me, anxiety girl! Hope it's not something that could end me 6 feet under though, know nothing about it but if that is what I have, I'm sure I'll learn more about it from someone! Thank you again, your friend, Cindy
    • Posted

Glad to help. You can read lots of extreme horror stories on the internet but crohns isn't always that bad. If you know what you are dealing with you can adjust your lifestyle, diet etc which helps. I too spent an awful lot of time in the toilet and felt ill but had surgery 5 years ago which made a lot of difference. Unfortunately I think it is active again and toilet trips are more frequent again but that's what life has dealt me so I deal with it. Yes it gets me down and I moan about it but it won't change anything. There are a lot of great forums to get support from with people with varying symptoms and degrees of severity of the disease but they all offer great support especially as everyone understands how you feel x
    • Posted

Surgery that's scary! What do they need to do? This disease be with me for the rest of my life, I'm 58 now?
    • Posted

The inflammation leaves scarring which narrows the colon this is called a stricture and can cause (as it did with me) bowel obstructions which is very serious. I was lucky and after two obstructions which cleared with medical help my gastro doc agreed that a bowel resection would happen at some point so a planned resection would be a good idea. it was open surgery so a big scar but as I was 56 when I had it done I wasn't worried. I was unlucky as I had a few unrelated health problems after but once I was over that I have been doing well. If you do have crohns it won't go away but you can have remissions and lead a normal life. Wait for your results before you panic it may not be as bad as it seems. I had problems for many years and was told I had IBS actually finding out what was really wrong was almost a relief, I could then be put on appropriate medication.
    • Posted

Yep I too was told by my doctor I had IBS till she decided to have me get the colonoscopy done. Thank you again, I'll keep in touch if that's okay, I'll hear next week. Cindy
    • Posted

Oh, are there foods maybe I can try to stay away from right now? Cindy
    • Posted

Please do keep in touch. Try to avoid healthy food ! Veg, salad, fruit and processed meats are often a problem. Anything with pips like tomatoes can irritate the gut. I kept and food and poo diar, sounds awful but I could narrow down what caused problems. I can eat s small amount of veg or salad. No fruit, nothing fatty and I don't eat dairy I have soya milk. Everyone is different many find bread is a problem also. Try the diary it can be very enlightening xx
    • Posted

Thank you, of course all the stuff I like to eat might be a problem, figures! Cindy
    • Posted

Hi Nannylin. I had the phone call this morning about my test they did on me Monday. I have tubular Polyp so every 3 years go back in for that test, but it wasn't cancer right not but that form of a polyp can cause cancer. The other test for Crohns and Colitis done, I have Colitis so guess I need to do some research on that one, no clue what that is all about either but symptoms are just what I've had. Good luck to you on your Crohns and thank you for being here. Cindy
    • Posted

Hi cindy great you got your results so fast and I am glad you now know what you are dealing with. I don't know much about colitis either but remember when you research that every disease has varying degrees and remissions so don't panic. Glad they will be keeping an eye on the cancer aspect again try to keep that in perspective - none of us know what we may have lurking around the corner. I wish you good luck for the future x
    • Posted

Thank you for the kind words and I will surely keep my panic under control, not easy with a person with anxiety issues like me, following in my mom's foot steps I guess. Yeah I'll do research on Colitis, I'm sure my doctor will help me in ways that she can too. Thank you once again and good luck with you and Crohns, hope you feel good and keep in remission when those times come! Your friend, Cindy
    • Posted

Hi cindy it would be really nice to know how you get on I know we have different ailments but I believe they are similar in some ways. Message me if you want someone to vent to !
    • Posted

I will keep in touch and you do the same. My gut sure does bother me towards the evening time, cramps, like period ones. I have that doctors appointment this next tuesday maybe she'll shed some good news about this disease it is called Collagenous Colitis, none cureable but can be controled and I hope with no strong medicine, I don't get a long with pills of any kind. Good luck to you and like I said, keep in touch, please, great making friends with someone who knows what I am going through with my stomach issues. Friend, Cindy
    • Posted

Hi cindy I have looked at your condition online and it is very similar to to crohns including the treatments (not sure about surgery tho so don't panic !) will be interested to hear what your doc says. Where are you from your messages I guess US or Canada, I am in the UK.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.