Maybe IBS?

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I have been around this website for a couple months and decided to post.

So I used to be very active and not so much anymore since I got hurt at my job, I almost do nothing active cause it hurts my knee, currently getting treatment. But any way I’ve been battling stomach issues since I quit my job it seems like, it starting with diarrhea and now I have stomach pains, grumbling, farting, but no diarrhea at least for about a month or 2. It all started after a very stressful time in my life (personal) a couple issues just got stressful in my life. But I was dealing with mostly just diarrhea and my doctor said I was fine and run its course as I did and it got better but in the months after i would still get some pain and alot of gas.

Fast forward to now I moved out about 5 weeks ago, I’m 22 and I have had nothing but healthy and barely any pain for the first three weeks but the next 2 have been pain mostly, but with some grumbling in my stomach and some gas like 15-25 after dinner but still healthy bowel movements in the morning, which is the only time i usually go.

Now tonight I cut out some big gluten things like pasta but still have like the stuff that has some gluten in it like breadcrumbs. But even after cutting it out, I still seemed to have some issues. Now today I had some mac and cheese that had gluten in it and I went for a walk and about 45 min after I had to run to the bathroom with my first bad bowel movement in at least 5 weeks.

A weird kirk to this is often times I will eat dinner and not have an issue and then eat lunch the next day which will be the same food and will have problems and vice versa and another thing is like if I go out with my gf a lot of times I don’t have a single problem and sometimes I think it is all in my head, since it has been going on so long I almost think like what’s gonna happen to me now just like tomorrow when I eat I’m gonna hope I’m fine, but be worried.

Since I am a student and I work, I feel it just adds stress and the stress has no where to go, in the past 2 weeks I was in the need of an internship and had a deadline so I feel that added some stress and now it will add more having the internship, but idk if that’s causing my problems like not having a way to relieve my stress through exercise. Which it seems my gf is stress reliever cause when I’m with her I don’t think of any of this stuff, sometimes I might get a little pain but then we either do something or talk about life and it goes away.

I’m going to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist this week to see if we can come up with anything. But I would like to hear from some of you and see what you think? My dad thinks it’s just stress cause it 95% of the time doesn’t affect my life, I usually can go do everything like family events, events with my gf and such on small walks, play with my nephews go to school, work, it’s not like I spend all my time inside my house. The only time it affects me is like nights like this because I just think why did this happen and is there something really wrong, which I doubt cause if there was id imagine my symptoms would be worse or it would affect me more

Thanks a lot for reading! Sorry for being so long. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steven, I think your Dad is right, it will all be down to stress as I found out when I was cured once all the stress of a job and bullying was over although it took several weeks, I would recommend exercise like swimming or yoga or something like that or even going for a walk.  Do things that make you feel good and make you happy.  Stress can do funny things to our bodies but once we start taking good care of ourselves, getting exercise, relaxing, enjoying, it is surprising how quickly things can improve.  You could also try keeping a food diary and have an allergy test to see if it is certain foods that make the symptoms you experience worse.  Good luck, hope you feel a lot better soon.
    • Posted

Yeah I know, i need to find time to do something just with my bummed knee sometimes it just hurts to run or swim or anything so i have to be careful in what i do. I have wanted to get back to working out so bad but its hard for me, everytime i go my knee just is killing me as im going through recovery now.

But thanks, i have read a bunch on that exercise can almost cure everything out their and im a firm beleiver cause even when i get a cold or something i try to exercise more and usually it goes away without any meds.

• Posted

Get tested for celiac and ask about IBS.  Some people with IBS can be sensitive to gluten. Stress is a major trigger in Irritable Bowel and sufferers find that symptoms are better when they are not stressed.  Some find that a particular food irritates them one week but will not cause problems the next time they have it.  Keep a food diary.
  • Posted

Steven it does sound like stress, so you need to find diversions from your Course and study. The reason I suggest above is the Girlfriend seems to calm you down and that is a good thing you have to distract your mood.

At weekends try and give yourself time to relax, go ut dancing or whatever to calm our mood

BOB

• Posted

Yes, i have been trying to leave everything behind me on the weekends and just have fun and not think about anything. 
  • Posted

Thanks guy, i called a gastro dr today but i have to wait a little to get in but I will get tested for celiac and i will ask him about IBS and or if it just might be a allergy. 

Today i decided to have the same food as i had last night, even though i was nervous too and it sat fine in my stomach, no pain what so ever, no farting no nothing i was shocked and it was pasta with gluten in it. So im just confused on the matter, sometimes it seems gluten does it and sometimes not. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.