Me again :( what does a palpitation episode feel like?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Aaargh! I'm having a day of it! Just walked downstairs and sat down and my heart started racing. Going fast then normal for a bit then fast. I'm contemplating the out of hours doc but I don't want to make a fool of myself.  I know a lot of you have had palpitations so I'm just trying to normalise this. My mum died of a heart attack hence my panic xx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

This sounds nothing to worry about.

However call the out of hours Doc and tell him why you called him. As a Dr friend of mine once said they would far rather be called by 99 patients that didn't need them than not by the one who did.

Big Hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi Stella

well if you are worried see a doctor ..

a palpitation that i experience is a sudden thumping of the heart, we feel it, for a few seconds then it eases.... in peri it happens on and off ... and a symptom, but if you are unsure seek medical advise ..

learn to relax abit ..... you sound so stressed ... 

sit down, relax, deep breathes .... 

jay jay xx

• Posted

I've had nearly a year if my body acting up and every time I get my head round something, something else starts. I've had everything from coughing up blood to it dripping from my bottom during the night. I am truly fed up of this, and have gone from being a sane and rational person to a mad woman! Doesn't help that my gran died of a stroke and my brothers having a by pass in a few weeks :-/ funny thing, never worried about my heart. Before, ever! Xx
    • Posted

Oh Stella 

big hugs hun.... 

if we look at all our families medical history ... we all had something ot other, i know i have aswell....  but stress makes it all worse..

you need to have a warm bath, sit and relax.... forget everything else. have some you time... 

jay xx

• Posted

At times like this I think thank God I was adopted and don't know it.

At times ignorance is bliss as they say smile

• Posted

info for you ..

What are heart palpitations?

Palpitations are irregular heart beats that can include skipped beats, extra beats (as many as 8 to 16 beats a minute), and a racing heart (as many as 200 extra beats a minute). Many people suggest that having palpitations makes them "aware of their heart beating."

Women and men can have heart palpitations. In healthy people, they are most common in perimenopausal and menopausal women as a result of fluctuating hormones such as estrogen and progesterone. Some perimenopausal and menopausal women suggest their palpitations occur during or after a hot flash.

try and relax stella 

jay xx 

• Posted

Hi Stella, if ou are not sure what you are having of it is your first time, just contact your doctor  Drink lots of water, it is said to help.  If it is perimenpause, it my be really anoying for the symptons look like a REAL heart attack.  I had two strong sensations like that, I thing my heart was not fast, but very slow - yep, you get confused enough to lose the counting. It lis like you feel the tumping, lack of breath, dizzyness - it looks like your lungs and your heart are not synconised.  It is owfull.  This real bad thing does not happen often, but some symptons came and go for months - some times the heart beating is really irregular, from 40 to 100 heartbeats in minutes and yu kip some beats. That usually endures for about 6 months, the 3 first are the worse - that is what I read and what happened to me, too.  Some people relate that to anxiet and stress, I do not agree, I was emontionally fine, so  I should not have had that at all. Good luck, I would say if it is all the symptoms you have, it is not a heart thing smile
    • Posted

Hi Bella

I have had palitations all through peri 9-10 years, occassionly, not often.

i am now meno reached ... and only last week i had one...

i was pottering outside , nothing strenuous, and bingo, i had a rather intense one, i just sat and relaxed and it passed..

theres no time scale, of how long we have them, they just happen..

and may occur over many years..

like you say, if you havent had one ever, then it can be alarming, the first time, but once you know and realise , then they are part and parcel, we just think, oh another one..

mine dont occur during a hot flush, some ladies do, we are all very different ..

jay xx

• Posted

Again, if ou have ot received the one Iwas preparing before the website crashed!

Jay, I just hope (and pray), that for now on, I will be more like my older half-sister.  She has never had ANYTHING like that; no pain, no heart pounding, no sickness at all. Even hot flushes, she only had for few years past her last period...  Some are lucy, why not us?! hgs

• Posted

Hi bella

Dont know hun, my mum sailed thro, two years all done, from age of 42 - 44 , 

Me 9 - 10 years from age 40/41 to 50 .... 

Oh well .. That is life ay .... Take care hun

Jay xx

• Posted

How are your iron levels? Low iron: It is a well-known symptom of low iron to have fatigue, shortness of breath and increased heart palpitations!

I am 52, not overweight and in pretty good health, started peri I believe last October. I would get awful paplitations/racing heart just from going up/down the stairs but seems to have subsided since I started the iron. Just a thought hope you get to the bottom and feel better.

• Posted

Hi Mary

hope you well, glad your feeling better with abit if iron.. worked for me too a few months ago, mind you more for energy, did not stop the odd palp for me.. 

do you take a vit C or drink Vit C etc with your iron..

Taking vitamin C and iron together helps the body absorb the iron.

It doesn't matter whether the vitamin C comes from food or a supplement. But, taking a vitamin C supplement to improve absorption of iron properly .

have a great day Mary

Jay xx 

• Posted

Magnesium deficiency may also be one of the causes of heart palpitations..

Magnesium is amazing for heart health 

jayxx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.