Measuring Knee Bend...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am just at nine weeks following a TKR.

I feel that in general I have made some good progress. My nights are better, I am walking short/medium distances without crutches and the pain is less all-encompassing.

But I do have an insecurity about my 'bend.' I realise that this is not the be-all-and-end-all, but I am concerned about my progress.

Three wees ago my surgeon took a look at it and told me I was 'about 110' dgrees. The next day my physio measured it at 100. And at each session since she has measured it at 105.

Now I may be wrong here but I do feel I have gone beyond the position she measured as 105, and wonder about the accuracy of the caluculation. A numbut of other people in the class also feel that her measuring may be on the 'conserevative' side.

The thing is that altough I feel my bend is bending further, I don't really know what a bend of 110/120 etc might 'look' like.

Are there any photos or illustrations anywhere that might help??

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you have made brilliant progress. I am 5 weeks post TKR and last time I saw my physio (at just over 3 wks) my bend had gone from 60 to 80 and I dont think it has got much better so you are doing brilliantly.  I hope I have your bend when I'm at your stage.

Sorry I don't know what the bend should look like but if you look on YouTube im sure someone will have a picture of it. 

Good ode luck for your continued improvement.....😃🍄🍀

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

Im also 9 weeks post op my problem is geting the leg straight its slowly improving however I finf that as long as I can walk downstairs and get up from any chair im happy ,Im overweight  67 and have very muscular legs the result of cycling which does not help acording to the physio .I can walk for about  half hour with a stick as I dont want to do the other knee  the swelling returns heat and icepack works well.good luck everybody is different

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I am 13 wks post op and although I can walk without any aid and have a very good straightening of my leg, my bend was only 95 when last measured by the physio 4 weeks ago. It had been 95 since wk2. Because my leg is swollen around the knee the physio said until the swelling had gone  it was not going to improve.  I have been doing exercises at home since then and although I feel it has improved, I have not had it measured. Sometimes I think too much is made of it.  As long as you are happy with the progress and you keep going with the exercises, try not to worry about how big your bend is. All I know is I can walk so much better and with much less pain than before I had it done.  Hang in there and it will get better. Xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

HI am 5 weeks post both knees PKR operation ,I exercise 3 Times a day which includes 5 minutes on exercise bike . I was walking with 2

crutches for about 3 weeks then down to 1 .I am now using a walking

Stick .my knee bends in both knees with a lot of hard work and pain is

now around 120 degrees .My left knee feels heavy but not to painful.

However my right knew has a constant nagging pain which I take regular

_co_CODAMOL for so I can keep exercising.I think if you really push yourself through the Pain barrier you will get there.

co_CODAMOL

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Normal body flow of fluids acculating in and around the joint, weather changes and activity can make a 5° change at any give time. However, if you aren't pushing for bend an straight every time you work on it you can go back

My therapist and surgeon have always told me to worry about straight and bend will come along.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there

have you thought about making your own tool for measuring the angle of bend on your knee ??

two pieces of narrow plastic with a bolt through and I think its called a protractor, you can get it at a willkinsons store, I am going to make one myself soon. Paul

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up