Medication

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone have advice on a good medication to take for this? I was offered Ultram/Tramadol but will research first.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hiya..Sheeyl .Amithriptilyne is  the only med I take for Fibro...gives me a great pain free sleep..- no pain..still feel a tad drowsy waking up...but that sleep is what makes this Fibro manageable for me..only get flare ups now..once  it was just constant  pain almost everywhere and sleepless nights..I take it 7pm before bed..it really does work wonders ( for me..that is,) we are all very different..I take 25 mg...never had it increased either ...started on 50mg but I was like a zombie...all the next day..dropped to 10mg for a while-still not too good but 25 mg is perfect for me..it is actually an antidepressant that works excellent for pain..it numbs the nerve ends and stops the pain from jumping on to the next nerve..hence a very painful body...the antidepressant is probably a lil bonus as most of get depressed from time to time..yes it does knock me out to give me that great sleep which is just sooo needed, to be able to deal with the pain etc the next day..but once I'm up and dressed..I'm fine.....Its great...16yrs down the track..have to be woken up in the morning..but once up and about I'm just fine.....when I was first on them I was like a zombie..but it's like a miracle med for me... it takes a while to settle in. ..also, please remember that less stress is the key to Fibro....be blessed..have a lovely day..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Hi Sheryl, I'm afraid Iv'e now got Fibro, M.E. and Arthritis all over my body. Have suffered badly for going on 40yrs. after having had it since childhood. I took Tramadol to try it but it only made me feel more ill. After finally being given Morphine after trying lots of other Pain Killers I was sick with that, and now I can't take any kind of Pain Killers without being sick, so I just have to put up with the pain.

Amitriptilyne I was on for 18yrs upto 16mths ago taking upto 150mg after starting on 10mg at first. They didn't help at all in all that time, never got anymore than 4hrs sleep a night, didn't make any difference to the pain. What they did do and are known for it  was make me put weight on, over 3st in the first 3mths of taking it. Always weighed 8st 4lb apart from when I was pregnant, went up to11st 7Ib. no matter how I tried I could not loose the weight but since coming of it I'm now down to 10st 3Ilb without even trying.

Unfortunately my Rheumatologist has told me I've got Fibro as bad as one can have it. There are different stages and everyone is different, and at 70yrs old now, I don't expect to improve at all. Just got to try and do what I can when and if I can.

I know that some swear by Amitriptilyne and Tramadol. A friend of mine takes 8 Tramadol and 150mg Amitriptiline a day and apart from the odd flareup doesn't have any problems, she's 49yrs old now and was diagnosed 2yrs ago. with Fibro and M.E. So you could try it but just be aware of any problems that may crop up and tell your doctor straight away if anything makes you feel worse, it can do more harm than good. Take care ! Anne

• Posted

Oh Anne, I'm so sorry you have to suffer through it! Thank you for your response, Pain changes lives for the worse sometimes but I'm trying to make the pain a part of my life not let it consume me. It sounds like you had FM for a long time without a diagnosis, poor thing, i can only imagine how you suffered through it. Take care.
  • Posted

I have had fibro for 22 years and I find Lyrica (Pregabalin) at 450mg per day is the best for me but I am told to help with pain it is at least 450mg that does it.  The side effects at first can be hard but once you come through that it does help with the pain.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl, as the other ladies I take amitriptilyn,co codamol, tramadol 0nly when really bad and lyrica, I was on gabapentin before but rheumy changed me to lyrica/preglablin and they work for me, with ami I make sure I take it a few hrs before bed so I do not wake up drowsy! But everyone is different! Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you soon, it's trial and error really! Big hugs Angel x

• Posted

for the past 10yrs iv taken nothing but supplements 

simply because of the  side effects 

i am not willing to risk more problems 

i suffer enough .

make sure what your taking so many of these meds are adictive and have side effects simuliar to your condition .

• Posted

Hi Sheryl 137428

i have had ME FIBRO and arthritis for a least 20 yrs and I'm on a cocktail off drugs I m also on Amitriptaleen which I found quite good I'm on 75mg at night but just wanted to tell u about a recent drug that I'm on Its called gabapentin It gives you a good night sleep and there is no restriction on how much u can take.I mean that literally I'm am at the highest I can go on my opiates so was quite relieved when the pain clinic put me on this new drug hope this helps and just remember that your never alone we are just a little further down the road than you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.