medication

Posted , 8 users are following.

how do we know that the medication we are prescribed actualy work or is it that it would of got to the same point without them?????????????

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Gary, I suppose it depends on the individual, but if you look at your signs and symptoms of depression as a chemical imbalance of the brain, then the only way to interrupt or change how you feel is medication? #

I just have to trust the Doc knows ... :D 

• Posted

I've thought that before Gary you know but I don't think so I think as said it a chemical imbalance in our brains as Kate said.

In my case I know I would be a lot worse off Meds without a doubt.

Everyone's different

I think we question sometimes are they working? When we get to a low point.

Maybe you'd be at the same point yes the question is do you need the medicine or maybe more support

Its a hard one.

Take care

Vicky

• Posted

Gary

We never know if the medication will work or not sometimes we have to try different medications to get on that works for us !

I have a good mxture of mediations for various Chronic conditions including Mental Health problems, in the early days it took them two years to find the right mixture.

You need confidene with your GP, remember He/She is in partnership with you as far as your health and medications are concerned.

If you feel your medications do not work discuss that at the Surgery, the final sanction is in your hands if you refuse treatment, you make those decisions.

BOB

• Posted

You must forgive me for this but I really do believe that modern medicine for depression is rather like you'd fix a watch that didn't work. You start off by tapping it and then graduate to a sledge hammer. I did CBT which made me vomit with its simplistic rubbish. I am the most disorganized person I have ever known telling me to order my thoughts might as well be Cantonese. I went to see a Psychotherapist and after about three visits I had no idea what she was there for.

There comes a time when they stopp being beneficial and then you have to hope that your doctor is honest enough to try something else or see if you can survive without them. Every time I have been on a medication for a long time, it has proved damaging and dangerous. 

• Posted

i did cbt and she said ive been depressed all these year for a dog that died a few months ago,if she was playing jedi mind tricks then it deffo work because she lost me
    • Posted

Like I say. Watch and Hammer. We put ourselves into the hands of people who know it isn't a direct science. I'm now 7 days into my cold turkey and haven't bitten anybody. I'm also into an experimental fast. 7 days with just milk to drink. No food. Mac Donalds profits have plummetted!

We have to trust the pro's but we are the ones who take the fall when they get it wrong. And they do!

• Posted

Hi Gary

I wondered the same thing when I start taking medication. I didn't know how I was supposed to feel so I didn't know if it was working or not. Some medications take a few weeks to start working.

But my doctor told me that mine was working because although I kept on feeling down and worried etc. I wasn't getting as anxious as before so it just takes the edge off of your worries and helps you deal with it that little bit better. Still a long way to go for me though yet.

Hope that helps

Take care

Catherine x

• Posted

I often think that too, beware reducing, I had to go without certain meds once when the doc was away and I had run out, and lamotrigine  deficit left me feeling very gittery and depressed, I am going over to a natural remedy probably in league with what I am already taking and very gradual to see if there is any beneficial effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.