Medication Advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am 5 months post op of Right TKR. I get stiff and achey constantly. My ankle hurts. I exercise (walk dog for 2 miles), take care of three year old grand daughter and do some substitute teaching  ( I am a retired teacher). At night I have pain when I change positions, from sitting to standing.  I take 500 mug of Naproxen or 800 mg of Ibuprofen. I called my surgeon and found out he has no appointments for the next six weeks.  My six month appointment is end of June so I have to wait until then to address my concerns.

My ankle pain makes walking difficult, yet I continue to do normal activities.  I am not overweight, having lost 40 pounds before my surgery.  Has anyone else had ankle pain?

Advice, please ? I am concerned about the issues related to overuse of NSAID's.

Ellie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any problem with my ankle, but understand your concerns over use of NSAIDs. I unfortunately am waiting for TKR on my other knee, still on Naproxen.

Don't know the answer to that one afraid just in the same boat!

All the best, hope you get sorted soon

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes! Stretch(gently) your achilles tendon after getting up. Calf muscle tend to get tight/weak and have some guarding. Just stand on a curb/stair and let the heel drop while keeping body and leg straight. Any step will do and height can be small to bigger as you get better stretch. If you are warmed up, your strech can be bigger. Also start calf exercises when pain gone to strengthen them. Hands on counter and raise up on toes. 10x to start full range, equal balance, dont rush.

2mile walk is fantastic! Great job!

• Posted

Could your ankle pain be varicose veins? I'm a retired teacher, and due to being on my feet all day I have had varicose veins for years. Since my TKRs two years ago MANY new purple veins have appeared around my ankles and REALLY HURT at times! ( They look nasty, too!😲wink

Elevating my legs way over my head (laying on the bed and resting the backs of my legs along the headboard) helps a lot. Compression stockings help, too. Ibuprofen eases the pain when it gets bad.

I sprained both ankles in junior high and then in college. They STILL bug me when it rains.

Just some thoughts...

• Posted

NSAIDS can cause stomach irritation in some people with long-term use.  I don't think a few months qualify for that so I would not be concerned.  NSAIDS for a year might be problematic.

The ankle problem could be the ankle itself or possibly referred pain from hips, quads, hamstrings, calfs, etc., all of which are now the equivalent of jello.  With all these weak muscles, other ones have to do the job and could be overtaxed.  Everyone's different so there's no way of telling.

Get a pedometer (Fit Bit, Smart Watch, etc.) and back off the two miles.  Find the number of steps it takes to walk without pain...then increase gradually.  Track your progress.  I did 8,200+ steps 5 weeks post-op and my knee looked like a hot air balloon.  After that, I tracked my steps every day.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,00+ steps (5 miles) with zero ill effects.  Don't guess.  SCIENCE!!!

• Posted

NSAIDS are cleared by the kidneys while tylenol is cleared by the liver. Aspirin and advil/ibuprofen cause gastrointestinal upset and possible bleeding. All three prolong bleeding time and can cause bruising, gum bleeding, rectal bleeding etc. Taking w food ie. A cracker,yogurt etc can minimize this. Drinking fluids reduces insult to kidneys. Any long term use of meds carry higher side effect list.

• Posted

Hi ellen. I take one paracetamol 500mg together with 15mg codeine twice a day. I get sleep and relief from pain using these doses. I take 100mg anti inflammatory celebrex with good, if I am travelling, city working, standing a lot or know I will be doing more than usual. I walk 20 mins most days and try to stair climb often. Resistance exercise and weights too. I sometimes experience severe ankle pain and feel it is arthritis based. Also it could be nerve damage. Ask doc about using a drug called Lyrica. Both my sister's use it and say it has helped them. Good luck. x

• Posted

I,m also 5 months post. I had a time of bad ankle pain. I've had to get new shoes as my foot was going back to the "old ways" when using my usual shoes. My new knee has changed the straightness of my leg/foot. Also family reprimand me for not walking "correctly"! I twiddle my feet found and round in bed for 10 mins in the mornings before I get up. My ankle no longer hurts. I take ibuprofen occasionally. Still have fat knee and bend not that good but slowly improving. I walk dogs further and further! Just my experience. Just take note of how you are walking. A limp with a straight foot usually results in sore ankle.

• Posted

Hi Ellen, if you can't get an appointment with your surgeon, I would definitely be seeing my primary care doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.