Medication advice needed for anxiety and slight depression please

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, just joined this site as seeking some advice.ive had anxiety for 2 and half years, and it's crap!!as you all no.well recently I've been feeling run down and just not right,legs feel weak and off balance which I hate. Anyway spoke to my doctor and thinks it's time to try tablets.but there are so many and a lot of bad side affects on review.would anybody have some advice on what to start on that has worked for them for bad anxiety and slight depression please?didnt want to take medication but can't handle this anymore.just to say have done CBT which for me didn't help and also tried hypnotherapy,which helped abit.thanks and hope your all ok x

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

CBT didn't help me at all, but medication has! I've Ben on Prozac for 2 weeks and it's already really helped me with depression, still waiting for anxiety benefits. My grandma on the other hand swears by xanax. It helps her when she feels anxious and depressed.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to doctors tomorrow so will mention what you have said.yes CBT did nothing for me unfortunately.thanks again.
  • Posted

I take a small dose of paroxatine 10mg dropped from 20mg I swear it saved my sanity without a doubt
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, ok il discuss with doctor tomorrow can I ask is there many bad side affects or have you been getting on well with them?
    • Posted

No side effects at all but they are addictive but I don't really care as its been a godsend to me to at least having a life again after 20 years suffering xx
  • Posted

Hi ive been on citalioram for 4 months now low dose 10mg and they have been OK for me for my anxiety and slight low moods, although before they started working I got worse with my anxiety the doctor did say that would happen and to stick with them through it then it dyed down after a month, need to up the dose now, also had counselling and going to start cbt soon
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your advice.thats the thing I'm worried about the side affects and just pushing through them.good luck with your CBT hope it helps you,have you been suffering from anxiety long?
    • Posted

I was worried about pushing through the side effects too, have you family and friends around you that can help on a bad day? if you decide with medication. Thanks I hope it help too the cbt, I've only been suffering with anxiety for 5 months now so all new go me and so scary.
    • Posted

Yes cause when you feel ill it makes my anxiety worse,yes I have suffered for over 2 years and I've had enough now as I'm a fraction of the person I was,yes have good boyfriend and great family for support thankfully.how you getting on with it,has it affected your day to day life?x
    • Posted

Same, I feel a fraction of the person i was already its totally taken over my life in such a short time I'm in constant worry has started to affect my relationship with my kids 3 yr old boy and ten month old girl it's a struggle daily, I worry about heart pain I have and then that leads me to think there is something wrong with my heart and I might die! Which sounds mad but its the way I feel and feels so real even though the doctor says its my anxiety. That's good your bf and family are supportive and there for ypu smile that can make all the difference when starting on madication. Medication works for some people, therapy others all different. I hope you find something to deal with the anxiety whether it's medication or not x
    • Posted

Hi sorry write back now,I've heard that's a common thing with the pain in chest,must be horrible!!are you on medication?my problem is get a lump in the throat which sends me in to anxiety feel like I'm going to be sick,so I avoid situations where this happens.i hope you feel better tho as a must be hard with such young kids.just remember tho nothing bad will happen and are minds are powerful things.ive been prescribed something now and going to try tomorrow.it helps anxiety calms u down apparently lol.its propranolol the name.will let u no how I get on smile x
    • Posted

Hi gorgie, yes it is scary, the last two days have been good days though. Definatly hard with two young ones it is, also sadly starting to affect my relationship with them. You are right the mind is a powerfull thing. I'm on citalipram at the moment 10mg but am supposed to upping the dose to 20mg now but am a bit scared about doing that. I was on propranonol for a couple of days but for me I didn't like it only because I don't like taking too medication and being on the citalipram was enough at the time but it is meant to be good so give it a go and yes please do tell me how you get on with it and hope it helps you smile x
  • Posted

Your doctor should prescribe a low dose of diazepam to help you get in any ssris as you get worse before you get better in most cases xxxx
    • Posted

Hi thanks I've been to doctor and they have tried me on propranolol see how I get on smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.