Medication and eye pain?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I'm only day two of citalopram after loads anxiety about even taking it.

I have panic attacks when in certain situations l, so I don't have anxiety full time.

Although over the years I have created more and more situations that now cause panic and anxiety.

But can't get up today - called in sick and I'm really struggling with pain in my eyes like a pressure.

I've been put on this medication for anxiety not depression but starting to feel depressed now.

Stupidly I went on google and have read about 50 accounts from people slating this medication and even linking it to vision loss - my biggest anxiety!!!

I think I'm going to stop taking it... so scared again after feeling positive last night.

Maybe I can just cope by avoiding the things such as confined spaces, social occasions and medical things. Or taking valluim. ..as I need it???

Really don't know what to do? ??

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire

I am sorry you are feeling this way.  I have been on Citalopram for 20 years and have not had any throuble with my sight.

Please keep taking the medicine and give it a chance to work.

Always here if you need to talk

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for reply.

It obviously works for you. .. did you have side effects?

Have you ever come off it at all? Can I ask if it's worked for all your fears?

Ive got doctor on Friday and I'm going to ask her if I'd be better just treating the symptoms as they come - instead of taking this. It worries me that it's altering my mood when im happy anyway? I'm waiting for CBT too.

I'm only anxious - which isn't fun. .. But is bearable.

Hope you ok xxx

• Posted

Hi Claire

I don't know if it is still working but after 20 years afraid to come off it.  No it hasnt worked for all my fears, I wtill get them on a daily basis.  I went for quite a while not seeming to worry much but since December I have been a wreck.  I now take Queitiape 75mg twice a day.  I get so worried about my health.  I am having CBT at the moment and the therapist I have is great.

I lost my husband 2 years ago at the age of 58 so that has not helped.

Can I ask, do you grind your teeth?  I grind mine so much.

I dont think you will find tht Citalopram will alter your personality.

Take care.

Love and hugs

xxx

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry to hear of your loss - that must have been incredibly difficult for you.

I woke up this morning and my teeth really ache so I would guess yes.

My husband I'd a deep sleeper so I guess he would notice.

I'm glad the CBT is working - that's encouraging.

Thanks xxx

• Posted

Claire, you are only on day 2.. It takes weeks for the Citalopram to start having full effect. You have to give your brain time to adjust to the medication.  I too am a sufferer of Anxiety and not depression. (social as well as stress overload ) Is your employer aware of your health issues right now? My employer is wonderful and understands my issues. (Helps that his daughter has anxiety as well )  When I first was diagnosed at the begining of Aug I was told to take 2 weeks off work by my doctor. It was good for me to adjust to the meds and start to think of how to get through it one day at a time..  

Google is not always a friend for people who have anxiety and depression. I was so glad when I found this site to have people to relate to and who can offer suggestions. We are not all going through the same things here but we all want the same outcome... to get back to being US AGAIN! 

Please do not stop taking the Citalopram give it some time . How many MG are you taking?   XX

• Posted

Hi

I'm on 19mg to start with then have to up it to 20 once my body more used to it.

I know you're right - im just so stressed about if I actually need this level of intervention.

There is no way I could talk to my boss - she's is about as far removed from understanding as you can get... Which is understandable since I look after her children.

She struggles on her own with them at best of times .

Anyway if im honest work might be a good distraction -

You are Def right about goggle too!

ThanksI'm glad your doing ok- do you take this medication,

Xx

• Posted

That was meant to say 10 mg!
    • Posted

Claire,

Yes I am on 20 mg of Citalopram. Started on 10 mg for 1 week then upped to 20mg.. Been 6 weeks now. 

• Posted

Took a few weeks to start to feel better. I am not 100% yet but much much better than I was when I was having panic attacks and crying uncontrollabley for stupid things.  Finally starting to get some sleep at night. Now I have wicked chills and sweats... like flu aches and pains.. every night for 1 week.. Not sure if its Cit related or hormones... waitint to find out. 

Xx

• Posted

Okay that's good to know - I'm glad you're starting to feel better now ☺.

I hope you get the other symptoms sorted out soon ...

I'm still confused - but will keep taking till Friday when see doctor xxx

• Posted

Hi Claire

It is Jean again, just to let you know I have just got back from my session with William my CBT chap.  I cant beleive how he can make me feel a bit better all beit for a short time.

Hope you can get something sorted soon

xx

• Posted

Thank you Jean x

I'm so pleased to hear that. I look forward to the sessions and hope they won't take long. To come through.

I'm going through this whole thing so I can basically go on holidays and not stress about my son going away. That's why I'm questioning meds so much. I'm fine 80% of time. Cxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.