Medication for anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with anxiety it started a few weeks before Xmas (out of the blue) I had 4 panic attacks in one day and had no idea what was happening to me....I ended up in hospital and that's when they told me it was panic!! It took a few days to get my head around it as I was sure I had suffered a heart attack 😦 my gp recommended speaking to a therapist before taking anything so I am currently attending mindfulness classes to learn how to switch off head chatter etc and it's quite good I've not had another attack and can calm myself if I feel one starting but I struggle with daily symptoms like the lump in my throat and muscle ache... I don't stuffer with depression but my mood can be lower when the symptoms get really bad.....gp said she will put me on something if I need it when I finish my classes and if I'm still feeling anxious.....I'm interested to no what others take/took when first diagnosed 😬

0 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

My son has panic attacks/anger outbursts and he is on Abilify, 2mg. Also takes Inositol supplement and Krill Oil. It has worked wonders.

Abilify is expensive but it is set to go off patent this spring so price will drop.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Peppe the things u mention are they medically prescribed or are they alternative medicines? I'm new to this so no nothing at all I've never heard of them 😋
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Abilify is medically prescribed so you need the doctor to do that.

Inositol is a supplement that you can buy in vitamin shops. So is Krill oil. These 2 supplements aid in reducing panic.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thankyou I'm interested in the alternative medicine ATM as I'm not used to any prescription ones -- I will look into these can I ask does your son take the krill oil and inositol together?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have been on Paxil for 14 years has helped a lot. I also take Xanax when the panic gets very bad and I can't calm myself down.  It really helps to go for a long walk or some form of exercise.  It raises the natural chemicals in your brain and really helps. Also try to talk yourself thru the panic attack, when you realize you will not pass out or die, you will feel more in control.  Good Luck to you

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Jennifer I exercise quite a bit and ur right it's a great way off clearing the mind my problem is when I stop and get settled down in the evenings etc it all starts so I find I'm anyways trying to keep busy but I'm exhausted now 😞 I'm able to cope with the symptoms ATM (thankfully) without meds but the lump in the throat feeling is the one that really freaks me out 😳
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your lymph fluid runs throughout your body but one main path is up your spine to the base of your skull then down what fells like the back of your throat end emptys into the thoracic duct, many things can cause your fluid to back up and put pressure on your throat, mostly bad posture and how you spleep and keeping your neck bent in a bad position, a hard mattress, once you get it going it will thin out and you wont feel it anymore, plus stay active drink lots of water and take advil, avoid medications that will dry you out, but thats why you feel the lump in your throat
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Pristiq Generic is a new antidepressant medication which balances the amount of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain hence solving anxiety issues. Pristiq dosage of 20 mg is quite sufficent to treat anxiety.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up