Medication how long for?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed yesterday as depressed.

They gave me antidepressants, called fluoxetine, I've been given a two week supply, and need to go back a day before they run out.

Will I be prescribed more?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

In all probability yes, I think docs usually prescribe you meds for a minimum of 4 weeks, they will want to see you again after 2 weeks probably just to see how you're getting on with them x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, they are starting you off at a lower dose because it might work for you. Any of the people I know who've taken go to 20mg. Plus this way you have to see the doctor, or check in with them to let them know how you're doing. Unless you're having really negative side effects, I don't see them not giving you more. This medicine has flourine init, which ccaused knee pain for me. I hate that I had to stop it, because it worked well for me.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh I'm sorry about that.

And yes I want to stay on them, I've been told they take at least two weeks to work though, but I do seem happier I think , but then it hasn't been two weeks,my moods are up and down TBH.

Will they eventually put me on repeat prescription?

I'm already on 20mg

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I hate depression. I'm thinking of trying Celexa or Zoloft.. I know it's a chemical imbalance, but it makes me feel like a pathetic failure. Good luck with your meds! Do whatever you have to to get better.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thats what i was given, they will check how you are feeling but are more than likely to give you more. Do you find they help? I had to stop taking mine because i didnt feel any better taking them.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up