Medications (NSAIDs), Urinary Retention and Self Catherization

Posted , 5 users are following.

You can read more about my background in some of the Self Catherization (CIC) threads, but briefly I was put on a program of CIC a few years back for urinary retention due to obstruction from an enlarged prostate. During this period my bladder regained some of its elasticity to the point that I was able to almost stop CIC altogether. 

A couple of weeks ago I was put on the NSAID, Motrin, for rib cage probaby caused by a muscle or cartilage issue. Several days after starting Motrin I found it increasingly more difficult to go to the bathroom and finally gave in and performed CIC for the first time in probabably 4-5 months. Out came 800cc which compares to my previous retention of usually around 150 cc or less, and never lately more than 400cc. 

Fortunately, I had the skills and equiptment necessary for CIC, so no big deal and no trip to the doctor or  hospital was necessary. 

Just wanted to share my experience and give everyone a heads up not to overlook any medications they may be taking as a contributing cause to either chronic retention or even acute retention whidh is what happened to me where I was totally unable to pass urine without CIC. 

As soon as I put two and two together, I stopped the Motrin as the rib pain wasn't all that great anyway. However, during this time my bladder seemed to get stretched out a bit so decided to give it a rest and have resumed CIC maybe once a day or so. 

I thought I might have to have another "break in period" after stopping CIC for so long, but it was just like riding a bicycle so zero pain or trauma. 

Jim

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Correction: First sentence in second  paragraph should read in part " ..for rib cage pain..."
  • Posted

Thanks for your post Jim.  I am also CIC'ing after PAE in september only gave about 5-10% relief.  I had quit nsaids for a year prior because they contribute to retention but had started back since I was cathing anyway.  After reading your experience i may stop them again and chart the PRV difference. 
    • Posted

As long as you're self cathing, NSAIDs probaby not an issue since as you can adjust the frequency of cathing per your output (PVR). That said, if you're trying to rehab your bladder somewhat, the NSAIDs could be counter productive. Another risk versus reward thing.

Jim

• Posted

One additional point:  NOT ALL CATHETERS ARE SAME!!!!    I've cathed over 2,000 times, and the Speedicaths are my hands-down favorite:  silicon, self-lubed, well-packaged, with a hanger-loop AND a sticky patch at the top end of each package.  Those clever items allow one to hang the pack close by for use, whether it be stuck to tiles in a WC or hung on a handy tree branch at the road side.  

When I was being tested at my urologist's once, they used a rubber one on me ("Oh, we're using lubrication...", which lefted my insdes raw and irritated, with painful urination, for two weeks thereafter.  Think: tools of the Spanish Inquisition!  :-P

I've used the dry caths that come in a sealed bag with a little sack of sterile water that must be broken.  That step adds just a bit more complication to the process, which the Speedicaths don't.  Also, I had the unpleasant discovery once, of the little water pouch being full of air when I popped it open.  Not a good place to be...

• Posted

Thanks for the post, Cartoonman.  If you have the time can you please send the full name of the Speedicath model you like.  There appear to be 2 or 3 variations.  Thanks a lot.
    • Posted

SpeediCath Standard 28414 Nelaton Male FR 14/4.7    Distributed by Coloplast, made in Denmark.   The only caution I have is that this is a STRAIGHT CATHETER; there's another number with a hooked end, designed for some condition I don't have.  They sent me a box by accident, I used em, they hurt like hell.  But I was a newbie and didn't complain until I ordered the next shipment.  And they said, Oh, sorry, we sent the wrong ones.  And I asked, What do I get for compensation for your error?  And they said, Nothing!  You used them, after all....   :-P
    • Posted

The last two digits - 14 refer to the diameter in weird units, fr14 in that case. Jimjames will tell you use the smallest that will remain straightish as you drop or push it in. In my case a fr12 is better. Most speedicath suppliers will cheerfully send you free samples of a few sizes to try.

The pointed type is called a tiemann tip. It is pointed to one side slightly which you must insert pointing upwards as it works it's way round the curves. The open end has an embossed line to guide you. The tiemann tip is specially for when you have a difficulty passing the prostate, typically because of a third central lobe inside your prostate.

• Posted

The curved tip is frequently referred to as a "coude" tip as well as "tiemann".
    • Posted

It's possible you inserted the coude ( curved) tip the wrong way as the correct way is counter intuitive. Correct insertion of a coude tip is with the "hook' toward you, not away from you. With the Speedicath that means the guide nub on the funnel end is also toward your body. Incorrect insertion would have the opposite result, ie snagging the prostate instead of navigating around it. As mentioned, the coude tip is designed for enlarged prostates so if yours is normal size it may not be necessary. I have used the coude tip in both 14 and 12f sizes and no pain whatsoever. Currently use 12f as smaller is better as long as you can get it to work. If too flexible then move to one size larger.
    • Posted

Thanks, gbhall, for the "tiemann" tip, as it were!  :-)  

As for those numbers: as I understand it, "14" refers to it being a 14-inch length, which is the length I was prescribed.  Unlike Presidential Candidate Donald Drumpf, I am not bragging, as that's the length from tip to bladder insert!  :-D   The 4.7 (I was told) refers to the diameter... and indeed, it is actually listed as "14/4.7 mm," upon closer inspection...

• Posted

Makes me think it's called a coude tip, as it "coude" rip yer fookin' insides out, if mishandled!!!  :-D

• Posted

No. 14 is the diameter in the "french" system. Note that "FR" precedes the 14. "FR" is for french. Im guessing the "4.7" is the mm measurement corresponding to 14 FR.
    • Posted

Btw all of the coloplast speddicahs are 14" long regardless of what size French they are.
    • Posted

Thanks for that clarification, JimJames.  Ya learn something new every day!  And yes, I just Googled around and see that FR 14 does in fact equal 4.7 mm.  THat I use a 14 in cath is a mere conicidence!  Who knew?!?!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.