MEDIUM TO LONG TERM RESULTS OF PAE TRIAL

Posted , 11 users are following.

I would think the Urologist's will have to learn to do this procedure. The first heart cath's were done by Inv. Radiologists, the Doc's who are doing this procedure. It is similar to a heart cath. In looking at the conclusion, it is hard for me to consider anything other than this.  This is a recent abstract from a medical monthly publication.

http://www.jvir.org/article/S1051-0443(16)30034-3/abstract

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the article that was pasted in full here as it may breach other website's copyright. Please do not paste whole articles in posts. You can add a link to it and this will be approved as long as it complies with rules for posting links. If it doesn't then links can be exchanged via the Private Message service.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

New systems to address life changing BPH ...symptons with low

invasive technology is a blessing. Prostate sizes per success rates

would be an interesting number long term. Drug intervention..that is

prosccar, avadart, flowmac interventions would also be intereting

to note if any. Either way, any stradegy that can alleviate this plaque

amoung men has to be addresed...afterall 40% of all men by the

time they reach 65 will have to deal with this puppy. Lets see what

happens...

• Posted

Scott,

I doubt that Urologists will ever do PAE because it's a very specialized type of procedure involving arteries and catheters. I had a stent procedure done 10 years ago by a cardiologist and I am familiar with the procedure. It's amazing, really. PAE would always be my first procedure of choice for BPH, followed by Urolift. Next would be some form of thermal ablation, such as REZUM or Aquablation, then laser (Greenlight or Thulium or Holmium). 

• Posted

When you see these results, over 600 men and none had incontinence and virtually no serious sexual complications from this first group, it is hard for me to see anyone that is having BHP issues not trying this first.  I am sure there are some that would not be candidates, but most are and no procedure performed by a urologist on 600+ patients has no complications.  You see a lot of guys on this site with very serious complications.  I think the urologists, like the cariologists will have to learn this or lose a lot of $.  The heart cath was developed by inv, radiologist and the cardiologists had to learn the procedure or lose a lot of $. Dr;s Dotter and Judkins and other radiologists perfected the various heart cath procedures in the late 50's and 60's and the cardilogists had to learn to do them.  

An associate of Dr. Charles Dotter at the University of Oregon in Portland, radiologist Dr. Melvin Judkins studied coronary angiography with Dr. Mason Sones. Judkins went on to create his own system of diagnostic imaging, introducing a series of specialized catheters and perfecting the transfemoral approach (introducing the catheter via a groin puncture rather than the more complex procedure used by Sones of introducing the catheter via surgical opening of the brachial artery in the arm). 

A careful perfectionist, Judkins went to great lengths to educate his patients, train his colleagues and share his techniques, and continued his work at Loma Linda Medical Center. Judkins furthered the goal of an accessible, systematic approach to high quality diagnostic radiology. The Judkins Technique of coronary angiography remains the primary diagnostic tool used in catheterization laboratories around the world

• Posted

I would be scared to death to have this procedure done by a urologist. It requires a whole different set of knowledge and skills than that of a urologist. For example, they have to be completely competent in imaging and radiation dosages.

It's truly a very bad idea. Hell, your dentist could probably do a better job, but they know nothing about the anatomy of the prostate.

Some of my arteries going to my prostate are 2mm in diameter. Anyone who has undergone the joys of having a urologist "gently " shove a scope up their penis knows that they couldn't handle a 2mm artery, but Dr. Isaacson managed to embolize mine.

If they enter through your wrist, as many PAE are done, including mine, they go through the heart on the way to the prostate. Nuff said?

Neal

• Posted

f they enter through your wrist, as many PAE are done, including mine, they go through the heart on the way to the prostate. Nuff said?

No, thank you

• Posted

I'm quite interested in the PAE. However no one seems to mention the radiation exposure. I heard it is equivalent of 175-200 chest xrays. for me thats a big concern

• Posted

Yes radiologists always seem to want to minimize the dose issue. I'm afraid everyone's got rose colored glasses on about this procedure. The reality is there are very significant sexual side effects possible and these are minimized along with radiation exposure and other possible red flags. Please see my other posts for details.

• Posted

I don't agree. Talk to Dr Isaacson, an interventional radiologist at UNC rather than listening to speculation from someone who might be a urologist, and have an interest.

PAE IS DONE BY AN INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGIST. NOT A UROLOGIST, so it will never be recommended by a urologist BECAUSE THEY MAKE NO MONEY ON IT .

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.