Medrol--small doses

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with PMR in Sept, 2014.  Initially I was on Prednisone, 20 mg, then on Medrol, beginning in Feb 2015.  I have been using the wonderful "Dead Slow" reduction plan since October, 2016 beginning with 5 mg Medrol in the AM, and am now at the transition from 2.5 mg to 2 mg.  Having read here that a 10% reduction is recommended, I'm concerned that here in the US, the smallest Medrol tablets are 2 mg, which I cut into quarters, so I have 0.5 mgs dosages. To reduce by 10% from 2.5 mg. I would need 2.25 mg. which I can't really cut.  Anyone have any suggestions or alternatives to get a smaller increment?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think that using slow tapering method is just as helpful...You could extend the transition to even longer periods if you feel that is necessary. Instead of 5/1 sequence, you could use 6/1 or even longer, but 1/2 drops should be small enough for the body to adjust to new dose.
  • Posted

Just keep using the Dead Slow pattern - I developed it to take into account some people can't reduce by less than 1mg because their tablets can't be cut. If it is still a bit fast for you, repeat each step once or twice before moving on to the next step. And as nick suggests - start with 1 day new, 7 days old if you weren't already doing so.

• Posted

I think being able to get .5 mg from your tablets is good enough.  I have tiny 1 mg regular pred tablets and wouldn't even consider cutting them smaller than 1/2.  I've found a very slow taper has worked, but it did take me more than half a year to get from 3 to 2 by way of 2.5.  Since then, strangely, the taper has become easier and I'm now waiting it out at 1.5 for a few weeks to make sure that's okay before heading down another.5.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.