Meds have stopped working, anxiety about travelling- need help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on medication for anxiety and depression most of my adult life - I'm 70, so that's a long time. Most of that time I've been fine. Last summer, the meds I'd been on for 3 yrs (citalopram) stopped working. By the time I realised that's what was happening, I was a mess - anxiety sky-high, depression the worst it's ever been. The GP put me on sertraline, which took 2 months to kick in, and referred me to a psychiatrist. Those 2 months were the worst of my life, and I had to cancel all my summer plans, including a trip abroad to see relatives. By the time my psych appointment came around, though, I was feeling ok and stayed ok for the next 6 months. I felt well enough to plan another trip abroad to see my cousins, which I was excited about.

A month or so ago, I felt my mood changing, and the psych increased my sertraline dosage. It hasn't helped - in fact, it has got worse, and I've now started having the same severe symptoms I had last summer. AND I am due to travel abroad in 3 days. It feels like more than a coincidence - I was anxious about the trip, but looking forward to it too, until this morning - I woke up at 5am, heart pounding, sweating, feeling terrified - of nothing and everything. This is exactly how my breakdown last summer began. (It wasn't connected with the trip then, which was 2 months away at the time.)

I left a message with the psychiatrist, who is sending my GP a prescription for mirtazapine to add to the sertraline (150mg) and pregabalin (300mg) I already take. He thinks this will help with the anxiety and depression, but it's obviously not a quick fix - I will have only been on it for 2 days by the time I'm due to leave, and I have no idea how I'm going to react.

I feel really anxious about travelling in this state, and at the beginning of a new drug regime - but I feel like I will be "giving in" to this monster if I cancel my trip AGAIN. I've spoken to my cousin about what's going on, and she's very understanding, assuring me we'll just reschedule again if I can't go - but I feel like a wimp and a wuss and ashamed of myself for being so weak. And I am disappointed about missing out on seeing my cousins. But I am really, really anxious about how I will feel, and how I'll react to the new drugs. I'd put off starting them until I get back - but how do I deal with the anxiety in the meantime. Should I cancel my trip? I can't even think clearly anymore, and feel as if I'm letting everyone down. Help and advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ronne,

I understand many airlines do courses for people who have fears of flying, this is no help to you if you are travelling in two days, I can suggest various coping Techniques that MAY work in the short term

Try Breathing Techniques and Mindfulness Relaxation Technique as you take of and land, or even if you are sitting around mid flight as you get more and more bored.

I remember when I first began to fly the charters used an Aircraft called COMET 4C, if I remember well. When you looked out at the wings they would bounce up and down as they took off and the aircraft flew, it was very strange especially when we landed as the whole wing seemed to disemble as the plain landed and braked. It was just part of the Engineering where people where ust getting used to fly on Jet Aircraft.

Try not allow yourself to worry, flying is the safest way to travel and is in my eyes very boring.

Have a nice time

BOB

• Posted

Hi Bob - Thanks for that. My problem isn't fear of flying - I'm really ok on planes. But when my depression and anxiety are high, as they are now, I get really stressed and anxious about leaving my comfort zone. It's one of the ways I can tell I'm heading into an episode - if I get worried about taking the train to London (something I usually really enjoy). It's a free-floating anxiety that really just cripples me, and I feel embarrassed about it. Your suggestions about mindfulness and breathing are good ones, though. I do use those techniques when I can - sometimes everything is racing too much even for that. But I'll keep trying... Thank you.

• Posted

I would go an see your cousins if you can , be honest with them an tell them your concerns , fears , if they are aware of how you are feeling then maybe then they will accomadate you an help those anxiety problems you are experiencing , you shouldn't feel embarrassed , mindfulness , breathing is a good idea , try an turn the negative into a positive , sorry i can not be more helpful , please take care xx

• Posted

Cancel the trip. Can they travel to you? You best off regulating at home. Not a wuss this is all awful.
    • Posted

Thanks, Lisa. They came here at Christmas, so it's my "turn" - and we were planning to spend a long weekend at their holiday home on the sea coast, which I was really looking forward to. But I am scared of having a meltdown while I'm adjusting to the new meds. I'm going to see how things go over the next couple of days - and try not to pressure myself into going if I really feel like crap. So hard to treat this like a real illness (which it is) and not a moral failure.

• Posted

It has nothing to do with being a moral failire at all. One day they will figure this all out and when people read about it they will,wonder how we were all so strong and resilient to get thru it. You make your decision based on how you feel. It is okay not to go ..this has to be about yourself and whats best for you,
    • Posted

I know how you feel I have suffered most of my life,I am now 87.I never go away,you are supposed to ignore symptoms and just go through with it.I feel good if I have managed to go out.It is how you feel at the time.
    • Posted

Thanks, Sybs. I think you're right -- you're the only one who knows how you feel, and you have to make the right decision for you, not someone else. I'm beginning to realise that. If it disappoints other people, so be it. Hopefully when I am feeling better, I can make the trip with just a normal amount of pre-travel nerves. I think that in the state I'm in I'd be so exhausted and stressed out by the time I got on the plane that I wouldn't enjoy anything once I got there. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.