Meds or no meds? Need advice, please!

Posted , 7 users are following.

After 3 months in therapy, I'm finally seeing a psychiatrist. First of all, anxiety is a b****. General physicians don't make it any easier. I feel like they're always trying to pump you with pills to get you out as quickly as possible. And therapists don't know as much as doctors do about medicine and physical reactions so I've been reluctant to take their suggestion about taking medication. I'm not sure a psychiatrist would be particularly better, but they seem to fit the bill. 

I've been dealing with anxiety for 6 months now, and frankly, I've been missing out on so much because of it that now my depression is getting worse. I can't drive anywhere, I can't be left alone, I can't do a lot of things I used to enjoy so much. 

I DESPERATELY WANT MY LIFE BACK, but I'm seriously terrified of the side effects. I'm also super sensitive to meds, which makes me believe I'll feel ALL those side effects.

I just need some genuine advice, tough love, real stories, tips, questions I should ask my psychiatrist, ANYTHING! 

Should I go on meds? Which worked for you? What side effects did you feel? How long did they last?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You sound like a carbon copy of me. I am on Paxil and it stopped working suddenly July 2015. I don't go anywhere but to doctors appointments and my anxiety gets really bad then. I also take clonazepam and it helps some, but not much. I've lost a lot of weight and I am jittery almost 95%of the time. I get headaches frequently and nausea from the gastritis. I tried going on Prozac and started out on 10mg and my doctor thinks I started out on too high of a dose because I was more anxious because it can cause more anxiety with some people. Then again some it doesn't. I've titrated down to 5mg and stopped and my doc wants me to start back at 2.5mg. He says Prozac works on anxiety even at lower doses. I have OCD so I will eventually be on a high dose. I would start slow on whatever your doc recommends. I tell mine I'm very sensitive too and they start me low. He wants me to take an antipsychotic drug called Zyprexa and I have taken it a few times at a low dosage. It helps, but I'm afraid I'll have all the side effects when I stop it. For some reason I use to could start and stop drugs with no problem, but now I can't. It's up to you, but I would tell the doctor to start you on a low dose and the side effects should be less if you even have any side effects. My anxiety has gotten to the point that I'm willing to try almost anything.
    • Posted

You post makes me feel a little more sane. The last couple of doctors I've seen have looked at me like I'm crazy when I say I want to start at a really low dosage. The last doctor I saw even seemed annoyed that I suggested taking 5mg of Prozac. She was like "that's not even a therapeutic dose. It will do nothing for you" But I know my body better than anyone else so that comment kind of discouraged me. I will definitely bring this up at my psychiatry appointment. I just need that extra push to really absorb all the techniques my therapist has been trying to teach me. 

The best of luck to you! You seem to have a decent doctor so hopefully his suggestions work out for you.

Would you mind me asking why he's suggesting an antipsychotic if you have OCD?

• Posted

The antipsychotic is a very low dose to help with the anxiety, nausea, heart palpitations and the restlessness of my body while I'm titrating from Paxil, that I have been on for 16 years, to another antidepressant. Paxil is the hardest antidepressant to come off of especially since I've been on it for so long.
  • Posted

yes mitch this has got to be the worst time I have suffered it and like you i went years coping with depression and anxiety unfortunately Im also going through the menapause which is excasebating the symptons, I told my self after living through hell since last november that its NOT going to get the better of me I still have bad days but im learning to cope with these the bad days are getting less. talk to someone you trust I opened up to my line manager and she has been fantastic as my colleges (we are only a small team) my family have been my rock it wasnt always so as my kids were a lot younger when I had my last full blown attack and i had to cope completely on my own but they are older and understand I hope you get the right treatment and support that suits you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.