Meds pooped out again...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to panic attacks. Have had them for over 15 years now. Was originally prescribed lexapro and it worked wonders for almost a decade then I started taking nexium for heartburn and almost within 3 days of starting the nexium, the lexapro stopped.

Got off the nexium and even tried upping my dose of lexapro all the way to 20mg, but did not work. New pdoc prescribed prozac and valium. 20mg prozac and 6mg valium a day. Seems to have worked ok for about two years, but now, I feel as if it had pooped out also. The only thing holding me together right on is the valium.

My question is, has anyone had any success with going back to a med that stopped working years prior?The lexapro worked wonderfully.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

-matt

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My 2nd attempt at Lexapro was a disaster. My initial was great then quit; went back after a year and had complete meltdown...on prozac now and still finding it difficult; ssri's may not be my fit. I've heard Prozac takes awhile so you might just hang in there with it a bit longer....hope you find what works...I'm still searching; also might want to consider adding Deplin; a B vitamin that is supposed to bolster effects of ssri's.

• Posted

Well I have been on Prozac for two years. It seemed to work ok...but no where as good as the lexapro. Why did you go back to lexapro the second time?
    • Posted

I quit the Lexapro thinking it was making my hair shed then went through a year okay before the onset of more panic which made me return to it only to have a fit of crying. It was truly odd. I'm still not back to myself...tearful and depersonalized/derealized. 

• Posted

Ok. I'm sorry to hear that. Are you trying anything new now?

• Posted

Thank you for asking...It's been a nightmare for me. I was in grad school last April, had a panic attack...was placed on Klonopin...didn't know it was a benzo so I asked to be taken off and given Lexapro which resulted in the crying spells...went off it then another doc put me back on until I reached 40 mg which never helped; changed my brain...then put on Prozac with the b vitamin which I'm presently on....just nothing working...have been non-functional every since then.

• Posted

Well I wouldn't give up... I went through 4 different meds before finding lexapro. Which it doesn't work for everyone, just as in your case. But, after 4-6 weeks if you are not feeling great, I would get your doctor to change it. I myself hate benzos, but, in a transitional stage, they really help

• Posted

Yes....I've been on the prozac now for five weeks. I just hate to switch; hate the start up feelings...I really wish I'd never taken anything and yes, I've been caught in the benzo trap thanks to the idiot doctor who prescribed it and my idiocy at taking it. Best wishes in finding something. You may want to look up Deplin or L-methylfolate; is a B vitamin used in conjunction with ssri's that don't always work...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.