Meeting my new knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have the date to meet my new knee. 26 th February. I am full of dread after watching the videos and listening to the forum. I have the frozen peas in freezer, the arnica for bruising, I have done all the pre ops exercises to strengthen the muscles. Is there anything that people who have had this op thinks I have forgotten. I am so nervous. 

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Louise

you sound very prepared. Just go with the flow. First 3 weeks are the worst as you have to reley on others. Get some good DVD'S. I watched Downton Abbey.

Listen to your body. You get very tired.  It will be worth it.

Christine NZ

• Posted

Thanks for that my daughter bought me "pirates of the carabean x3 so keeping Johny Depp for then, Downtown might be my next one to get thanks for your input 
  • Posted

Oh you are brave.... i deliberately didn't watch the video. Before..... even now I still can't bring myself to.... good luck for your surgery.... I wish I had come on here before I had op.... its been invaluable....
    • Posted

I agree I am more prepared for meeting my new knee now However we had tickets to see Bodyguard on the very day? Our daughters will enjoy an evening out on us.
  • Posted

Hi Louise, I am a nurse and it is not what I expected, but I am 5 weeks into the process and it is worth it, still some pain mainly at night, but I am almost walking without a limp. Which is great since I have been walking with a limp for the past 10 years and I am only 50. Well worth the surgery and I have not regretted it. Take the pain relief especially before the exercises and do the exercises as ordered. I am now in hydrotherapy and I find this is helping a lot. Good luck.
    • Posted

Wow that sounds promising I know it is not excuse the pun a walk in the park but to have no pain would be good. I have a lot of night pain now so that is normal 
  • Posted

I think I'm about 10 wks post TKR (I've stopped counting ) and it's been amazing. My knee is virtually pain free ( apart from if I accidentally twist or bang it!) and I've been surprised that the whole experience was less traumatic than I'd been expecting. I've previously had a hip replacement but had been told a knee was far more painful so I've been pleasantly surprised. 

Do your excercises but also rest and give your body time to heal, it will be worth it smile

And yes... Stock up on DVDs !!

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Louise,

No need to worry at all. Its a great idea to get as fit as possible before the op. so in that regard you sound ahead of the game. As others have said, the first three weeks are typically the worst. The exercises can be hard but push through them, using lots of ice, elevation and pain meds an hr or so before. Your new knee is waiting for you Louise!

• Posted

Hi Louise

I am 6 weeks and 3 days post op and returned to work Monday just past. I am a sales rep and delivery driver, jumping in and out of a Van all day and talking to customers. My new knee is Awesome and I can walk pain free for the first time in years. I do get a little tired at the end of the day and there is still some soft tissue soreness, but nothing that half an hour's icing and a couple of Paracetamol dont fix. The first 2 weeks are the hardest and don't under estimate the mental aspect and staying positive and focussed on your recovery.

good luck to you and I hope the end result is as good for you as it has been for me.

cheers, Timo

• Posted

Hi Louise I am still waiting for my date to have knee replacement think you are very brave to watch the video think I will give that a miss hope all goes well

• Posted

I will keep up this blog. So you can read my journey. Hope you get your letter soon. When you do it is bitter sweet as you know that the old pains  and struggles will go . But there will be new challenges to be met. We all have to look at the bigger picture, in two to three months we will be running around like we were able to when ( for me 10years ago) we were younger. 
    • Posted

Hi Sharon I am like you waiting for a date. I have had one knee done and am waiting for number 2. I saw my consultant in August last year and he said he would do it in a few months!!!. Still waiting and I think this is the worst part.Wish I had a date I cant plan anything.
    • Posted

Hi Joan have you contacted your consultants p a to make sure you are still on the list. I saw mine in October and he said it the op would  be within the target time of 20 weeks! I will just be in the framework, like you the waiting gets to you in the end. Good luck
    • Posted

As Louise said you should contact them I am on the 18 week pathway so it has got to be done before end of march and as you say the waiting is the worst just want to get it over with then I will be looking at getting the other knee done
    • Posted

Just rang the hospital and asked for the consultants secretary. Just got put through to her answer phone and left a message. I have done this a few times and even though I have left my number they do not get back to me. Dont know what else to do.
    • Posted

Hi Joan I am speaking as a consultants secretary myself here - are you sure you have the right extension first off?  Perhaps the secretary doesn't work full time, in which case the message on the answerphone would tell you.  Have you spoken to admissions. They would be able to tell you if you were on the list.  I cant believe that no-one has got back to you!  If no joy go back to your gp and explain that this has been causing you anxiety snd perhaps he or she can chase it up.   The 18 week waiting rule goes completely out of the window, especially how things are at the moment.  I had my op postponed twice before I had it done.  I wish you luck 
    • Posted

Thanks for that Susan. I wondered whether I had the right extension. I will try admissions on Monday. Fingers crossed. Just need to know.

• Posted

I'll keep everything crossed for you Joan.  I know exactly how you must be feeling. It is so frustrating.  I saw consultant in June last year and had op in November.  If admissions can't tell you anything  check with them the consultants sec number.   Also if he works privately somewhere there is a chance that his sec works from that hospital as well.  Pester pester pester that is my advice.
    • Posted

Thank you Susan I will. My husband has a week left of last years hols which he has to take before April. He doesnt want to use them in case I go in and then he can be at home with me. I know this doesnt matter to the consultant but it would be nice if he could be at home. He works nights so doesnt want to leave me on my own at first. He has already used a week last year when I had my first knee done and I really appreciated him being home with me until I could manage.Thanks for you advice I will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

What part of the country do you live in joan if you don't mind me asking?
    • Posted

I live in Oldham and will be going into Highfield in Rochdale. 
    • Posted

I am down south so don't know that hospital.  I have quite a few friends in Lancashire and Yorkshire.  Nice part of the world.  Just a shame it's so cold!!!!
    • Posted

Have  got my date knee is being done 28th March looking forward to hearing about your experience
    • Posted

I have got friends in Essex. A couple we met on holiday and keep in touch through e-mail. Your right it is cold. The hospital I am going in is private but my treatment is funded by the NHS. Dont know whether that makes a difference. Obviously private paying patients will be seen first,
    • Posted

I live in Northampton and it is the same with me going to a private hospital funded by nhs
    • Posted

I think that is why you are waiting such a long time.  I live in Surrey myself.  Funny all our northern friends we have we met on holiday.  I hope you don't have t wait much longer for your op.  At least the weather will be a biit warmer and you will be able to exercise afterwards. This time of year is the worst to have this op done. 
    • Posted

We will need to follow each other I should be a month in advance, do you do the pre op exercises? I found them on the web? I am really trying to cover all bases to see if it helps make it easier!! I don't know about you I am quite apprehensive about the journey ahead But without it the future is not that Rosie . I have a friend who we saw on a weekly basis who appeared to go through the whole process twice in 6 months she never complained at all she had done all the pre op exercises keep in touch and we can share the journey. Did you see that Mary Berry at 79 attended the awards just 2 1/2 weeks after having the op. I want the pain relief she was on LOL 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.