Meeting my new knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have the date to meet my new knee. 26 th February. I am full of dread after watching the videos and listening to the forum. I have the frozen peas in freezer, the arnica for bruising, I have done all the pre ops exercises to strengthen the muscles. Is there anything that people who have had this op thinks I have forgotten. I am so nervous. 

1 like, 32 replies

Report / Delete

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Louise mai I suggest that instead of the peas invest in a knee cuff, you will find it much easier to strap around the knee and keep in place.  Not expensive just Google ice pack for knee and I think is about £20.  You will find it a good investment, I know I did!  Good luck x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I found it really helpful to use a scarf or bandage to put under the foot to help take the weight of the knee when getting in or out of bed/car. I didn't find the pain too bad but was surprised at the amount of  swelling.I expected to wait for 3 months for my operation but actually came through in 1.1/2 months but I suppose that depends on area? 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Louise

sounds like you are doing ll the right things. Keep up the exercises, the more toned th muscles before the op the operation the better. My experience s good. Operation Thursday afternoon, home for lunch on Saturday. As other people suggest the first few weeks are a bit troublesome nd ome friendly help is useful. I had ome pin, mainly t night, but followed th instructions re pain killers, anti inflammatories and anti  coagulants and things settled down quite quickly. Having good said this I still get some is turned nights due to pain from tendons as they heal slower - so I am told.

main advice is do what the Physio tells you to do - this is the best route to recovery. Skip the exercises and the road to recovery is long and rocky!!!

good luck and best wishes

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up